Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2011, 10:13 AM   #11

A friend of mine has a Pentax KX, with the 55-300 and 18-55 kit lenses. She's very happy with this combination and now plans to buy the Pentax F 2.8 Macro...which got a really good review in Popular Photography.

As far as lenses go ...Pentax wise I've bought the following lenses in the past three years:

• Pentax 50 mm F 1.4
  • Pentax 50mm F 2.8 Macro
  • Pentax 10-17 MM F 3.5 Fisheye
  • Pentax wide angle 12-24 MM F 4
  • Pentax 16-45 wide angle
  • Pentax 55-300 MM (not the kit)...
All these lenses have been great....sharp, clear, robust.

Pentax is also known for making some of the top prime lenses...they have a whole bunch of these...wide angle, normal, portrait...21mm, 31mm, 40 mm pancake, 77 mm.

They're known as the Limited series and I plan to get one of these next, along with the DA 300mm.

If you want longer than 300mm...which is the 35 mm film equivalent to around 450mm...then Sigma has some good lenses with Pentax mounts.

I think you will be happy with Pentax....I have two older DSLR bodies...a k10D and a KM...I'm very pleased.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:55 AM   #12

A boyfriend bought me a Pentax film camera in 1980 - I had it until I bought my first digital camera in something like 2000. Then I ended up buying a Pentax dSLR and am still using the lenses that came with the camera in 1980. While I don't own a Kx, I've always wanted a white one - they just look very nice - but I do NOT need another camera!

While Pentax lenses are sometimes hard to find in chain camera stores, they are usually easy to find through some of the big New York camera stores (B&H has gladly taken a fair amount of my money in exchange for various cameras and lenses over the years, including a lens that I received Monday). Also, it's easy to find used lenses, though prices on eeekbay have gotten outrageous as more people have discovered they can use old lenses and have started chasing the best glass.

The pictures I've seen taken with the Kx have been excellent - it seems to handle all sorts of things very well. The question of quality, with any camera, depends on how much money you want to spend on lenses - higher quality lenses cost a whole lot more than regular consumer type lenses. You'll get better results with them, but would they be worth their high price? For many people the answer is "no" and the Pentax kit lenses are as good as any of the other manufacturer's lenses. Some of their more unique lenses are excellent, but it depends on whether they would suit what you want to do.

If the Pentax camera suits you (and ergonomics are very important!), get it and have fun with it. I've certainly had a wonderful time with all of my Pentax dSLRs that I've owned over the years.

There is only one possible thing you might watch out for. Pentax owners often suffer from an incurable syndrome called LBA (lens buying addiction). Luckily, there's a good-sized friendly bunch of other Pentax owners that understand and are willing to help support and sympathize with you in your affliction. They tend to be a very friendly, supportive lot, who are more than willing to answer questions and share their experiences.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 1:18 PM   #13

I was thinking a lot about what I wanted to use my camera for, and although I'm not going to shoot a lot of sports, I want to capture night shots with fast moving cars. Would the Pentax still suffer in that area? I don't know how well motion blurr's picked up in a still shot on any DSLR, to be honest.

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 2:02 PM   #14

Now you are asking for a fast lens, and one that will focus fast in low light. The pentax can with the right lens, like the sigma 50-150 2.8 HSM. But the canon is the better in the lens option and with the better AF it will do a better job keeping up with the action of fast cars with the right lens. But then the 3fps can hinder getting the shot right with the t3, I would look at a t1i,t2i or t3i. with the faster fps.

Even with a fast zoom at 2.8 and 3200 or 6400 iso, depending on the light level where you shoot the cars, you may still have motion blur.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 2:52 PM   #15

Haha. Ahh, this is becoming too difficult. I honestly don't wanna pass up on a camera with superior auto focusing. I think I'm just expecting one specific DSLR to be "amazing" and none of them are perfect. Thats my own fault.

Old May 4, 2011, 3:04 PM   #16

Yeah, no such thing as a prefect camera, get the one that fits your budget and most of your need.
Old May 4, 2011, 3:06 PM   #17

Also none of the kit lens will be able to shoot your night cars stuff well at all. You will have to get a high aperture fast af lens

Last edited by shoturtle; May 5, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 3:16 PM   #18

All of the dSLR cameras out there are capable of taking outstanding shots, and all can do most things very well. Some cameras are stronger at certain things than others. If you want to save weight and size, look at Pentax. If you are going to be shooting sports all day, buy a Canon. If you want the most capable flash system, get Nikon. If you want a good, all-around performer then buy the one that feels best in your hand. Are you going to be hiking a lot or being a tourist? Look at Pentax (the Kx is one of the smaller cameras out there, the stabilization is in-camera so the lenses tend to be smaller and lighter, and if you want to upgrade later, the K5 is weather sealed).

The Pentax AF is fine for most things, it's just that its not as good as Canon's higher end cameras for anticipating what a fast moving object is going to do next. I have yet to feel like I'm missing shots because of the AF capabilities of my Pentax cameras - but then I don't shoot sports much at all (I do occasional birding but mostly landscape/hiking/macro with travel and being a tourist mixed in).

So the bottom line is that unless you have some very specific needs any camera you choose will give you lots of wonderful pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 12:42 AM   #19

after a long debate with myself, I think I'm going to try my luck with the Pentax. I unfortunately can't my hands on it to see how it feels, but I have a feeling I'll be alright, since I've been shooting with a Nikon p&s that's probably roughly the same size.

Thank you everybody for all your help.

Old May 5, 2011, 12:48 AM   #20

the pentax k-x is a very good camera, it will be a huge upgrade form the pns camera.