Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Default somebody said the Pentax K-x only shoots vertical

Hi there. I was just curious. I'm upgrading to my first DSLR next Friday and I was honestly set on the Pentax K-x, but then somebody told me it doesn't do well for horizontal shots, they just come out vertical. Is that true?

I liked this camera for a lot of reasons, despite it's compact size, I thought the price point and features were great. I was either going to choose that or the Canon T3, because they're both going to be in my price range. I honestly hope whoever said that to me is wrong.

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2

What do you mean it does not shot well horizontally?
Old May 3, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3

I mean like.....I'm not sure. I can't even relay what they meant really.

I think she said the aspect ratio of the photos were bad. Like they come out with a lot more length than width.

Old May 3, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4

it is the same as nikon and sony. It uses the same 12mp sensor as the d90, and a500. They all have 3:2 aspect ration.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5

so I honestly have nothing to worry about then. That's a relief. Do you like yours? I see in your signature, it says you own one.

My friend was trying to get me to buy the T3 instead because neither of us have heard of Pentax.

Old May 3, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6

G'day phil4 from philj

Someone's been having you on ... pulling your leg, etc etc
The Kx is a pretty-standard dSLR, it has many delightful features and heaps of bitz for you to play with as you learn more & more about it ....... get on and buy it before someone else does :-)

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7

The k-x is a good camera, and does a very good job with general photography. It has a bit more bells and whistle then the T3. The canon has more lens options down the road if shooting action is something you are looking to get into. But if it is not something you see yourself shooting. Then the K-x is a very good choice.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The k-x is a good camera, and does a very good job with general photography. It has a bit more bells and whistle then the T3. The canon has more lens options down the road if shooting action is something you are looking to get into. But if it is not something you see yourself shooting. Then the K-x is a very good choice.
well, in your opinion, would a T3 with a good lens end up being more worth it in the long run? What attracted me to the K-x really was the sensor size, but I know lenses aren't the easiest to find for Pentax cameras, so maybe just investing in a camera with a smaller sensor but good lens would be a good idea. I'm honestly not sure. This is all really new to me. The only DSLR I've played around with was a Rebel XS, but I'm trying to do a little better than that. (although, there's nothing wrong with that camera)

Old May 4, 2011, 12:18 AM   #9

the sensor between the k-x and the canon is not that big of a difference. Not really worth making a fuss about. But buying a dslr is buying into a system, you don't want to make a switch once you get invested in a system. So I would really look at your photo library and see what your really like to shoot. If you find yourself at allot of sporting event. I would go with the canon for the system over pentax. But if that is not something you are big into. The pentax would be fine, and will do decent light action. Like chasing kids in daylight.

The T3 in a good entry level camera, but the pentax is a good entry level also. And it actually have more bells and whistle. It shoots at a higher burst rate, 4.5fps vs 3fps. Pentax offers a IBIS so no matter what lens you put on, it will be stabilized, canon you will need to buy a IS lens to have that feature. Pentax is cleaner at higher iso of 3200 and 6400 then the canon.

So I would really sit down a determine what you want see yourself shooting with the dslr. Make a list of must have, would like, and not that important. If action is a must have, go with the canon. If not, then the pentax would a good job.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:47 AM   #10

I know nothing about the K-x, so this is just a question. Is it possible that the K-x does not auto-detect camera orientation, so you have to manually rotate all portrait orientation shots in PP? I didn't think any camera failed to auto-detect orientation anymore, but I noticed in a recent review that one of the 4/3 cameras failed to detect orientation. That would make sense of the person's comment if it were true of the K-x...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote