Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Best to buy
Panasonic TZ-8 0 0%
Panasonic TZ-10 2 28.57%
Panasonic TZ-20 2 28.57%
Sony HX5v 0 0%
Sony HX7v 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5, 2011, 1:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg83 View Post
completely confused
the more models the harder to choose
Well the other models I posted serve a different purpose. They offer far less zoom and in exchange, offer brighter lenses and larger sensors, which provide better low light performance.

• If low light is your primary concern, look at the S95, XZ-1, LX5, or TL500
  • If video is your primary concern, look at CMOS-based models. A camera that offers 60i will give you the best results for fast motion, followed by 30p and then 24p.
  • If still images are your primary concern, CCD-based cams offer better sharpness and noise than their CMOS-based counterparts. This is not to say the stills are bad from CMOS-based cams, but simply that they are better from CCD cams. (note this is limited to the P&S field ... dSLRs use much, much larger CMOS sensors that don't suffer from the same problems)

The Canon SD4000 and Nikon P300 are both cheaper alternatives to the S95, etc. Although they won't do as well in low light as the larger sensor cams, the lenses are brighter than you will typically find on a P&S, which helps to make up for the smaller sensors.

It's easier to decide exactly what you want and then look at the available models, rather than look at all models and then try to decide what you want.

Last edited by FiveO; May 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 1:54 PM   #12

thank you for your input
will be trying to make my decision by Monday - last date to make my order ))
spg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 7:40 PM   #13

are you experienced with manual or priority settings or are you an auto kind of guy?

what's more important to you - better pics in low light or long zoom?

how important is being able to shoot pics fast?

not knowing the answer, i was thinking of the epl1, which is supposed to be good on auto and have great jpg quality. the kit lens isn't going to give you a long zoom, but there is some zoom and the sensor is far bigger than the average digicam, and it does okay in low light. is it in your price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg83 View Post
thank you for your input
will be trying to make my decision by Monday - last date to make my order ))
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 2:36 AM   #14

Hello
to tell the truth i have almost no idea what those are for i'm more like a Point&Shoot guy... but wouldn't mind to try those functions out...
for me will be good to have good zoom and to make good picture of child playing indoor (mine Ixus 50 makes unacceptable pictures when hold in hands and indoor without very bright light, and also all moving objects are smeared or how is it in English)

epl1? from what i saw on pictures it was a bit too big as it'll be more for traveling with child and i hate to carкy big bags with me
spg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 4:49 AM   #15

If you want to take pics of a moving child indoors, an E-PL1 type camera is probably worth considering. While an XZ-1 and S95 will certainly do better than your IXUS 50 indoors, their sensors are still considerably smaller than the E-PL1.