Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Best to buy
Panasonic TZ-8 0 0%
Panasonic TZ-10 2 28.57%
Panasonic TZ-20 2 28.57%
Sony HX5v 0 0%
Sony HX7v 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2011, 7:42 AM   #1

Default Sony vs Panasonic?

Hello
was thinking of buying new camera for vacation and ended with following list:
Panasonic TZ-8 191euro
Panasonic TZ-10 211euro
Panasonic TZ-20 299euro
Sony HX5v 190euro
Sony HX7v 250euro

help me to decide... is it worth spending more money?
spg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2011, 3:06 PM   #2

I own the HX5V and think it sucks, as does the HX7V imho ... that is, unless video is your primary concern. The video on Sony's P&S cam is excellent. I also own the TZ10 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that camera. It has the best still image quality out of the bunch I think.
Old May 4, 2011, 5:53 PM   #3

Thanks
But could you be more specific about why it sucks?
Old May 4, 2011, 5:56 PM   #4

Any more opinions?
must make a decision in 24 hours to make an order...

I need a fast camera (fast start-up time, fast focusing and small time between shots), which is also good in low light and with shooting moving objects while also being on the move.
and preferably as easy as possible for use...
Old May 4, 2011, 10:45 PM   #5

Check out the recent review by Jeff Keller at dcresource of GPS equipped
compact superzooms.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg83 View Post
Thanks
But could you be more specific about why it sucks?
Well I've made a ton of posts about the HX5V on this forum, but sure.

• The camera's sensor doesn't do well with bright sunlight. The sky blows out easily and no amount of EV can fix it.
  • Contrast is very low and not adjustable
  • The NR (noise reduction) is overly aggressive. Fine detail (e.g. grass, hair) is often smeared because the camera's processing engine believes it to be noise. NR is not adjustable.
  • Reds and yellows are bumped up a bit too high. This means that skies sometimes have a pink tinge (due to the red) and grass quite often has a neon look to it (due to the green). On this particular point, to be fair, Panasonic has the greens bumped up a bit too high, which means that skies sometimes have a greenish tinge to them. Canon, Olympus, and Nikon all offer more accurate color reproduction.
  • The user interface/menu is non-intuitive and slow, particularly when compared to Canon and Panasonic.
  • The LCD is the worst I have ever seen on any camera

I purchased the HX5V based on a glowing review from a moderator here, swearing it was the best P&S she had ever used. She returned hers shortly thereafter, doing a full 180 and stating that it wasn't a very good camera after all. I was unable to return mine, however, and it has been sitting in my cabinet collecting dust ever since.

Quote:
Any more opinions?
must make a decision in 24 hours to make an order...

I need a fast camera (fast start-up time, fast focusing and small time between shots), which is also good in low light and with shooting moving objects while also being on the move.
and preferably as easy as possible for use...
You can have the long zoom or the low light performance. You can't have both in a pocketable camera. There is plenty of info here on the technical reasons why that is an impossibility, but these long zoom cameras lack an adequately sized sensor and bright enough lens to even be capable of doing well in low light. Now if you want to shoot moving objects in low light (anything more than very slight movement), then you need a micro 4/3 or dSLR because even the larger-sensor P&S cams (e.g. S95, LX5, etc) aren't going to be able to handle that.

If you want fast focusing, I would hesitate to recommend any Canon P&S. Panasonic typically has the fastest focusing and Sony does well also.

Last edited by FiveO; May 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 1:13 AM   #7

I see
so TZ20 and HX5V are out from the list...

the more i read the harder to choose the best one
Old May 5, 2011, 1:46 AM   #8

one more thing... currently i owe IXUS 50 which is very very bad in low light (can't shoot anything while holding it in hands), so i think any of those cameras will have great pictures for my eye
i'm not a professional in photography, so i need something very easy to use, the simpliest point and shoot.
so which one is best for lazy user
and i don't need GPS or 3d also, so they are not mandatory in specifications...
Old May 5, 2011, 3:29 AM   #9

Quote:
one more thing... currently i owe IXUS 50 which is very very bad in low light (can't shoot anything while holding it in hands), so i think any of those cameras will have great pictures for my eye
i'm not a professional in photography, so i need something very easy to use, the simpliest point and shoot.
so which one is best for lazy user
and i don't need GPS or 3d also, so they are not mandatory in specifications...
The IXUS 50 had a 1/2.5" sensor, but it was only 5MP, compared to the 14-16MP on most of the current model cameras with a only slightly larger 1/2.3" sensor. Without even doing the math, the large disparity in MP tells me that the IXUS 50 had larger photosites and thus should be better in low light than any of the current models you're looking at. If you want better low light performance than your IXUS 50, you should probably be looking at cameras such as the S95, LX5, XZ-1, TL500 (cheapest of the bunch), etc. However, those are considerably more expensive, except perhaps for the TL500. IN terms of cheaper models, you can make up for the sensor size somewhat with a brighter lens (e.g. SD4000).
Old May 5, 2011, 4:47 AM   #10

completely confused
the more models the harder to choose