Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 5, 2011, 3:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default Some help regarding D3100

Hi,
I am looking to buy my first dSLR and have a $600 budget, i know i don't have too many options for buying a dSLR for that price.

My basic aim is to learn photography as a hobby and take pics of family and travel.

I've narrowed it down to D3100, one plus point about it is the 1080p recording as i don't have a dedicated HD camcorder.

Now adorama.com is selling the D3100 refurb for $550 shipped which looks to be a good deal (90 warranty).
Brandsmart is shipping a brandnew one for $590 with a 1yr. warranty.

Another option is getting the camera from adorama.com and getting an extended warranty from Nikon.

I have the following questions:

1) Can anyone please tell me how much Nikon warranty will cost me and will it be eligible with a "refurbished" D3100 or is it only compatible with a brand new D3100.


2) If i can get the extended warranty with a refurb. D3100, should i buy from adorama or should i buy brand new from brandsmart?

3) Also am i making the right choice with D3100

Any help is appreciated as i am new to this forum and dSLR cameras.

Thanks alot in advance
Geronemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2011, 3:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Adorama is a reputable authorized Nikon dealer. I have no idea who Brandsmart is, but if they are not also reputable and an authorized Nikon dealer, don't buy from them at any price. The D3100 appears to be a nice entry level DSLR. You are unlikely to regret having gotten it. I bought my D5000 as a Nikon factory refurb from an authorized Nikon dealer, and I have not regretted it at all. I saved a fair amount of money and got a camera that appeared to be new and has behaved flawlessly. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 3:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
idenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 219
Default

well if $600is your budget then there isnt much to choose from.

you might wanna call adorama.com and ask them about extended warranty on refurb. products. I think refurb. comes only with 90 days from the seller...
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 8:47 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default

I got in touch with adorama and this is what they suggested instead:
http://www.adorama.com/IMXW3Y39.html
It's Mach 3 yr. warranty for $39.95

Has anyone tried this type of extended warranty?
It sounds very reasonable for the price.
I am gonna call them and get details about it.

Should i also ask Nikon about some kind of extended warranty they offer?

Any thoughts?

Thanks alot.
Geronemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
phil4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronemo3 View Post
I got in touch with adorama and this is what they suggested instead:
http://www.adorama.com/IMXW3Y39.html
It's Mach 3 yr. warranty for $39.95

Has anyone tried this type of extended warranty?
It sounds very reasonable for the price.
I am gonna call them and get details about it.

Should i also ask Nikon about some kind of extended warranty they offer?

Any thoughts?

Thanks alot.
I work at a technology store, and to put a 2 year warranty on a camera on that price, we charge $75. 40 bucks for 3 years is pretty awesome, imo
__________________
Gear:
Canon Rebel XS
Nikon Coolpix L120 p&s

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Member
 
HelenOster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Adorama is a reputable authorized Nikon dealer.
Thank you!

BTW I'm only ever an email away for advice, or for after-sales support: [email protected]
__________________
Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador




HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 1:11 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Thank you!

BTW I'm only ever an email away for advice, or for after-sales support: [email protected]
Hi,
I purchased the Refurb D3100 with 3 yr. warranty, it arrived today.
Now the 1st thing i noticed is that looking through the view finder shows me some dark colored lines like artifacts, i am attaching the pics. since it's difficult to explain.

This looks to be very annoying, i haven't tested the camera at all but i will do that tomorrow morning and get back to you, but this is the first thing i've noticed after turning it on.

Now are these artifacts something that i could fix or is this a defect in the viewfinder itself.
They might not look prominent in the pics. but they are when looking through the viewfinder itself.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by Geronemo3; May 13, 2011 at 1:13 AM.
Geronemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 5:30 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7
Default

im no expert but that looks like dust.
smacigidsevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 9:44 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacigidsevets View Post
im no expert but that looks like dust.
Neither am I therefore i posted the pics.

If anyone has an idea pls let me know.

Thanks.
Geronemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 9:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
rienz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Middle East
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronemo3 View Post
Hi,
I purchased the Refurb D3100 with 3 yr. warranty, it arrived today.
Now the 1st thing i noticed is that looking through the view finder shows me some dark colored lines like artifacts, i am attaching the pics. since it's difficult to explain.

This looks to be very annoying, i haven't tested the camera at all but i will do that tomorrow morning and get back to you, but this is the first thing i've noticed after turning it on.

Now are these artifacts something that i could fix or is this a defect in the viewfinder itself.
They might not look prominent in the pics. but they are when looking through the viewfinder itself.

Thank you for your help.
Sure looks like dust but I don't think it will show up while taking photos ... take some photos and see.
__________________
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:59 AM.