Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2011, 2:59 PM   #1

Default Olymous E-PL2 or E-P2??

I'm considering going Micro 4/3, and Olympus seems to be a great choice... I've been reading reviews, reading them 'till I'm blue in the face and just about brain-dead.... any comments on the differences between the two that might help me decide which side of the fence to fall off of??
Thanks, Folks!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2011, 3:56 PM   #2

It would be nice to know what type of photography you like to do and how important is the video capabilities of the camera. Reason being that, currently the EPL-1 with the 14-42mm lens is on sale @ $399 at Amazon.

I own the E-PL1 and find that in Auto mode, it delivers very high quality jpeg images. The EPL-2 is the latest release and does have a newer version 14-42mm lens which is said to be quieter and does focuses faster than the original version. It is also said to provide better focusing for video. I have not used one , so can't offer advice there.

I mainly use this camera for landscapes, seascapes, when traveling, taking candids of the grandkids etc. It is a great camera as long as you don't expect to shoot fast action sequences such as indoor sports, etc.
In addition to the 14-42mm, I have the 9-18mm micro ultra wide angle lens which is really quite sharp and provides excellent results.

Olympus is also running a Mother's Day special and I believe that you can get the EPL-1 with the 14-42mm lens + 40-150mm micro lens for $549.00
https://us.buyolympus.com/

Personally, for the money, I would go with the EPL-1 + the 2 kit lens @ $549.00.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 5:19 PM   #3

Hi, Zig-
You're right, I left it pretty blank. Maybe subconsciously to simply see what people have to say about the two cameras!
This is going to be a main general purpose outdoor camera, I suppose. I like shooting birds and squirrels, so am planning on equipping it with a longer lens, perhaps the 40-150 zoom as well as a normal shorter-length zoom, probably the 14-42 that comes with it.
I currently have a Canon G-10 that I love for close up stuff and indoors- and project pictures... it's a great little camera.
I also have a Lumix FZ-40 that I use for backyard bird/squirrel pic's- as well as a Fuji S-200EXR that I haven't used as much as I should since I got the Lumix.
ALso, build quality is important to me- how the camera feels, which tips the scale towards the more expensive E-P2, I know. So I guess the Olympus will mainly see outdoor use- and pic's of the grandkids!
Would like to hear others experiences with these two cameras, especially if anyone has used both.
Wes
Old May 5, 2011, 6:52 PM   #4

The epl-2 is the better camera, while it has a plastic shell. It does have the update AA filter that lets it shoot better at 1600 and 2000 iso, it does have a built in flash that can be used as a wireless TTL master. It does have the update msc lens, which AF faster then the older lens.

There are some other bells and whistle to the epl-2, but overall it is the more advance camera.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:56 PM   #5

Default But what about the E-P2??

So I got some feedback comparing the E-PL2 with the E-PL1, but none comparing the E-PL2 with the E-P2, which was my original query... anyone have thoughts on the E-P2?
Thanks~
Wes
Old May 7, 2011, 1:09 PM   #6

The ep2 is a good camera, but has the older aa filter lowering the high iso to 1250 and when you need to press 1600.

It has a tilt sensor so it will automatically adjust you photos from landscape to portrait. It has a nicer build quality. The zoom for the small af box is 10x vs 14x. And it has the older lens that does not focus a fast as the mcs lens from the epl2. But that lens has better build then the all plastic of the new lens.
Old May 7, 2011, 2:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the additional input, shoturtle- I appreciate it. Too bad they couldn't combine the best of each camera and put the best parts all into one! What is the "aa" filter you refer to? I'm not familar with that term.
Best lens choices for the cameras- since other makes are useable on these?
Wes
Old May 7, 2011, 5:55 PM   #8

anti alies filter, it is directly on sensor.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:17 AM   #9

Wes,

I use the 14-150 on the E-PL2 all the time, never the 14-42 even though I tried a few times...goes everywhere with us...Burst Mode turns off NR...It has a very controllable NR and Noise Filter also...you can turn both off or fine tune...
The in-camera adjustments are many and some think confusing, actually very well laid out as I would rather have too many than not enough...
Flash works well upto 10ft...the EP series does not have on camera flash the EP-L series does...the external flash (FL-14) is small expensive and not any better than the on board flash of the E-PL series and it takes up the hot shot mount so you can't use the VF-2 View Finder which is a very decent VF and works well...
SO I would definitely opt for the E-PL Series and the E-PL2 is the latest and greatest like shoturtle said it does well to 1600 ISO...
With a Olympus or Panasonic 4/3 adapter you can use the Leica 25mm 1.4 or the 14-150 on it...most folks like the Panny 20mm 1.7 due to size and since the Leica 25mm and the Panny 20mm both do not have OIS the IBIS is very welcome on the E-PL2...
I took this by sitting the E-PL2 on our Beach Bag and using delayed timer...14-150...

P4290749 by LTZ470, on Flickr

Last edited by LTZ470; May 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote