Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2011, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Image Quality vs Size

I am looking for the best image quality in an extremely compact point and shoot. I know that this is a bit of a contradiction in terms, but it is my quest.

Image quality is my overriding concern, but it must fit in a shirt pocket (the thinner the better). My main use would be outdoor scenic shots, and I do need the image quality to do good quality enlargements.

I have used the Canon Elph series for many years as my primary walking around cameras, but paradoxically my last SD 1100 IS does not seem as sharp optically as even my old SD 400 . Are the newer models any better, or did I just get a lemon ?

Any suggestions for great image quality in an ultra-compact point and shoot?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2011, 4:02 PM   #2

We all have different standards for what qualifies as "great." The S95 is the only high-end compact P&S that will fit in a shirt pocket. Now if you want something a little "less great", there are plenty of cams to choose from. Keep in mind that Canon uses a soft focus in their P&S cams which may give a less sharp appearance than some other brands.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:09 PM   #3

Hi,

You might try taking a look at the Olympus XZ-1 camera. It is a tiny bit larger than the S-95, but in terms of sheer image quality, it is indeed very hard to beat considering it's size.
If you have a moment, you might give this review a read as it compares the XZ-1 against the S95 and Panasonic's LX5 another outstanding camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 9:38 PM   #4

Thanks Five0 and zig-123. Both of those suggestions look good. I will check them out further.

I know that I am looking for an impossible combination, but this has been a long time search for me since I retired my Ricoh GR1 (a GREAT pocket size 35mm with near SLR image quality). My Leica was nice, but even larger, and also 35mm.

My old SD 400 was pretty good until the electronics died, but I have not been impressed with the SD 1100 IS. I have a Canon G7, which has nice image quality, but it is too large to easily put in a pocket, hence my ongoing quest.

There are many times I just don't want to carry a DSLR, but I am sure you guessed that from my question .

Jim
Jim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 12:59 AM   #5

I didn't mention the XZ-1 because of your shirt-pocket requirement, but it is a very nice camera. It's a little bigger than the LX5 though.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:58 PM   #6

I have the best image quality and clearity and in the camara much mega pixel in it. i have also many system and technology in it. i have also in projector system.
Bradpiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 4:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim01 View Post
Thanks Five0 and zig-123. Both of those suggestions look good. I will check them out further.

I know that I am looking for an impossible combination, but this has been a long time search for me since I retired my Ricoh GR1 (a GREAT pocket size 35mm with near SLR image quality). My Leica was nice, but even larger, and also 35mm.

My old SD 400 was pretty good until the electronics died, but I have not been impressed with the SD 1100 IS. I have a Canon G7, which has nice image quality, but it is too large to easily put in a pocket, hence my ongoing quest.

There are many times I just don't want to carry a DSLR, but I am sure you guessed that from my question .

Jim
There is an "expensive" camera too that have the same image quality as the Nikon D90, the Fujifilm X100, but it's a bit larger. The XZ1 and the S95 have similar performance and I think that the S95 is a little bit better, but that's my opinion.
m00ndancer is offline   Reply With Quote