Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2011, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Deal with refurbished Pentax K-x and 2 lenses ??

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for the last few weeks while looking for loads of information for my new camera... but this is my first post, so first I would like to say I am glad to belong to this nice forum now

After researching for a few weeks and coming from the super zoom world... I am ready for my 1st DSLR and I like the Pentax K-x for its IQ, features, long exposure quality and price !

I was also considering the Fuji HS20, the Nikon d3100 and the Nikon d5000, but decided the Pentax K-x would make me happier

Do you guys think the Kx is a great camera that won't disappoint me ?

I have seen this really good deal on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-K-X-DSL...item45fa465be3

Pentax Kx refurbished by the manufacturer + 18-55mm + 55-300mm DA-L for around 460 , which is really tempting for the price.

My concern is... the "refurbished" thing. Does anyone have experience buying refurbished Pentax cameras ? Can you assure that they are 100% flawless and like new ?

I know that the early Kx had some battery issues in the initial firmware and there was also an issue with 'mirror slap' that may have been causing some blur in the 1/60 - 1/120 shutter speed range... so I was wondering if that has something to do with the nice price of the deal now.

Do you think that if its refurbished, the camera would have all those issues fixed ?

Thanks very much for your opinions, which will be appreciated.

Regards !
Ulises is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2011, 2:21 PM   #2

The Kx is an excellent camera for the money. I would not, however, buy refurbished from an unknown dealer off ebay. For an extra $100, Beach Camera has the two lens kit new with full warranty. Buyer beware of Digi Goods Marketing. They do not even show up on resellerratings.com.

Last edited by pboerger; May 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 2:44 PM   #3

I have to agree with pboerger on this. I purchased a refurbished Canon camera from Adorama here in the states for my daughter and it has been great, however if it had failed, Adorama is a reputable dealer and they extended the factory refurbished warranty from 90 days to a full year. So, my recommendation would be YES, I think a refurb is a great way to save money, however I would make sure that I purchased it from a reputable dealer. As far as a Kx, I shoot Canon now, but I've heard and read good things about them and my wife uses my older Pentax K10D all the time & is very happy with the camera.
Old May 6, 2011, 3:47 PM   #4

That is a good lens setup for general photography
Old May 6, 2011, 4:41 PM   #5

Thank you all for the information.

I would buy that deal from Beach camera... but I am from Spain and am not even sure if they ship it over here... also, I am afraid I may have problems with clearances and may have to pay an extra fee when the camera enters the European Union

DigiGood are extremely well rated on eBay... but you are right, I am not sure if I should trust them. They only sell via eBay.

Anybody here has bought anything from them ?

Or anybody knows of any similar deal with the Pentax K-x in Europe ??

Thanks !
Old May 6, 2011, 6:27 PM   #6

Looking at their feedback, it looks like they sell a lot of "grey market" goods, originally intended for the U.S., which is why they have to provide the warranty rather than the manufacturer. It all depends on your comfort level with buying from someone like this.
Old May 7, 2011, 5:00 AM   #7

Hi all,

I emailed a few actual buyers of this exact item from this seller via eBay, and I got 4 positive answers, like the following one:

The camera is like new to the extent that most of the accessories are in sealed polythene bags(Those that were not sealed had never been sealed). If it wasn’t for the sticker on the original box saying “refurbished” you would not know it was not brand new. Everything is in the box properly placed and packed as you would expect from new. I was aware of the battery issue but assumed it was fixed or could be fixed by a firmware upgrade. I have not used it much yet so the batteries appear fully charged as you would expect after 50 odd shots. I was not aware of the mirror slap issue but have checked my images for those in the 1/60 to 1/120 sec range. A flower bed taken from a couple of metres away is pin sharp. A flower close up looks a bit soft but I think that is due to only a few of the petals being in focus due to the depth of field .I hope that is the correct expression as I am a complete beginner to DSLR photography. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will be glad to answer them.

-------------------------------

That made me more confident and I just purchased it, as it's a great deal difficult to ignore. In USA it would be easier to find great deals like this, even new ones... but in Europe they are normally much more expensive.

I will let you know about my camera when it arrives if you want.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Regards.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:35 AM   #8

I hope you enjoy your new camera. It sounds like you've done everything you can to assure yourself of good purchase. I look forward to seeing your pics posted on Steve's.
Old May 7, 2011, 7:12 AM   #9

Thank you very much Jerry, very kind