Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2011, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Sony A580 versus Pentax K-r?

Hi guys. am looking to upgrade from a P&S and stuck between pentax kr and sony a580 Need all the advice I can get. Which would be a better zoom, the pentax 55-300 or the sony 75-300?

Last edited by JimC; May 7, 2011 at 9:21 PM.
saberinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2011, 5:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's.

I'm going to move this thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, where you'll be likely to get more responses and opinions.

Between those two lenses, the Pentax lens is probably a better bet. That Sony lens is not very good (especially on it's 300mm end at wider aperture settings, where it tends to get softer, as do most budget zoom lenses).

But, the lens is only part of the equation, as there are differences in the camera bodies and available features with them. I'd give members more information on what you want to shoot (subject types, conditions you'll be shooting in, etc.) for better responses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 5:34 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. Sorry for the mispost. What I normally shoot is landscape, wildlife, and now portraits of my newborn. I have been using a 10X PS (38-380mm equiv) so as well as getting much better IQ from the dslr I want to retain the zoom range (or extend it). I was all set on the pentax k-r but the front focus issue makes me hesitate. As does the sony zoom lenses. Which is the lesser evil?
Old May 6, 2011, 5:53 PM   #4
Administrator

Extend the zoom range, huh?

Well...a 300mm lens on a camera with an APS-C size sensor would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 450mm lens on a 35mm camera. Multiply by 1.5x to see how they compare (300mm x 1.5 = 450mm). So, those lenses would extend your zoom range.

The Sony lens is not the best when zoomed into it's longer 300mm end.

Of course, you're not limited to using that one lens either. But, some of the alternatives do tend to be a bit pricey in comparison. For example, the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM G lens is an excellent lens. But, it's not cheap.

Now, you can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made on a Sony dSLR. One good option that actually gets sharper as you zoom in more (rare for most similar lenses) is the Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO AF lens (making sure you get the APO version of it, as the other versions are not very good). . But, I don't know how available used lenses are in your region and what a lens like that would sell for there.

Pentax front focus, huh? Well... I would take much of what you read about that kind of thing with a "grain of salt", as you'll find that no Autofocus system is perfect in all conditions (and just because one user reports an issue doesn't mean that you'll have the same issue). You'll find complaints about the AF systems in almost any camera around if you look through enough forum threads. ;-)

It's my understanding that there can be some issues with AF precision with different lighting temperatures (for example, tungsten versus daylight) with the AF sensors used in some of the entry level Pentax models (whereas the higher end bodies have AF sensors that account for lighting temperature differences). But, I've seen similar reports about a lot of different cameras (including more expensive models like the NIkon D7000, with demonstrations of it focusing differently depending on lighting temperature). But, the differences may not impact focus enough in the conditions you're shooting in, and I wouldn't assume you'd have a problem with it or that it's an issue unique to some Pentax models.

Again, no AF system is going to be perfect in all conditions. Perhaps some of our Pentax shooters will chime in with their experience.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 1:46 AM   #5

Would the missing range between 18-55 and the 75-300 (i.e. 55-75mm) be of any significance? With the pentax I'd get 18-300 with continuity.