Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2011, 7:00 AM   #1

Default Deciding b/w Canon T3 and T1i

Hi
I have finally decided to buy my first dSLR and have shortlisted Canon T3 and T1i based on my budget. I am getting the T3 kit with 18-55IS lens at 549+taxes and T1i @ 565+taxes with 18-55IS kit.
So, the question arises, which one to go for?
I searched around net and most of people are recommending T2i over T1i and T3, but it costs at least 200$ more.
I am a total n00b and this is my first dSLR, so I have got no particular requirements. Just want to get myself started in photography.

Thanks for the help.
jampack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 6:45 PM   #2

The T1i is better than the T3. The T1i has a bigger sensor, more MP, higher ISO, better LCD, better ergonomics and image quality.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 8:18 PM   #3

they are the same size sensor actually. The different between the two, the T1i higher burst. Can shoot a 1080 even though it only at 20fps vs 24fps. 15mp vs 12mp. 12800iso is able, but not really where you want to shoot. Top really is 6400, where it is acceptable. A bit faster burst rate.

The t1i is a bit more advance compare to the t3.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.
I I read somewhere that new kit lens that comes with T3 is better than older ones. Also, it is difficult to get better pictures with 15mp T1i with kit lens as compared to 12mp T3.
And more mp in same sensor for T1i -- doesn't it translate to poorer pictures?
Sorry for sounding so n00b.
jampack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 9:34 PM   #5

All the reports have the lens about the same, more cosmetic changes then anything else. There performance are very similar form some comparison shots I seen between the 2 kit lens.

You can get very nice shots with the t1i kit lens just like you can get very nice shot with the T3.

No the higher mp does not translate to poorer photos. More noise, but the higher mp off set it with higher resolution.

Both are good camera's
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:36 AM   #6

hi everybody just joined and have some questions i have the digital rebel 300d for a long time and really like the camera but now I'm ready to upgrade I'm hearing the t3i and t2i are basically the same and I'm not concerned about video just better picture quality and better low light performance so are there major difference between the t3i & t2i & t1i because i saw good prices for the t1i body thanks

Last edited by cab ny; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
cab ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:42 AM   #7

The t3i and t2i uses the same sensor so they have pretty much identical low light, both camera are a little better then the T1i at 3200 and 6400iso. From 100-1600 there is hardly any noticeable differences even when pixel peeping. I shoot a t1i and a 60d which has the same sensor as the 7D, t2i and t3i.

If you shoot allot on a tripod for long exposures or other things, the swivel lcd design the T3i uses is very helpful. But if you only use a tripod rarely or hardly ever, then the t2i would give you the same image quality, and save you a little bit of money as HD is not a biggie.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:02 AM   #8

thanks my 300d put its work in but i leaning toward the t2i the swivel display not necessary but how much better is the t1i to the 300d with picture quality
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:48 PM   #9

at 1600 it is allot cleaner as it is couple of gen newer then the 6.3mp sensor the 300d uses, you also have more details with the 15mp, giving you more then 2x the resolution. But in the low light department you get a decent 3200 shot something not possible with the 300d. I look at photos on a 30 inch high res monitor at times. And the increase resolution really show through on them. So if you every print poster size you can see a big difference between 6.3 and 15.1mp of resolution. And the increase resolution lets you crop in and still retain very good resolution for printing. You crop a photo 20% on 15mp you still have a 12mp to work with. 20% of 6.3 only leaving you 5mp to work with. Can not print to large with a 5mp file before jpeg compression.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:41 PM   #10

thanks a lot most likely it will be the t2i body but if i can get a t1i for a good price is it worth it or just go with the t2i