Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2011, 4:54 PM   #1

Default DLSR - For training and then future business

Hi all,

My wife really enjoys photography. She is a very new user and is thinking about making a career out of it. We have been talking about it and she is thinking about getting a good entry level type DSLR and playing around with it for a year or two before upgrading to something that she could use professionally. I am open to both new and used DSLR's and would appreciate any info and opinions that you could give me. Soooo, if you were a supporting husband that wants to get his wife something good for her to use while practicing the craft what would you recommend?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Chip

Last edited by Chiptouz; May 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM. Reason: crappy typing skills.
Chiptouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 7:41 PM   #2

what kind of photos is she most interested in taking right now or in the near future?

i'd suggest you take her to some camera stores so she can try out - or at least hold - the cameras. i am only 5' 3", but i find the canon rebels aren't comfortable, and ergonomics and weight are pretty important if you want to think about the pics you're taking rather than discomfort or steadiness issues due to camera weight or cramping hands. also sometimes cameras have buttons or dials that are perfectly placed for one person but are a disaster for another one.

something else to consider when getting started is available lenses. i love my panasonic m4/3 camera, but there aren't that many m3/4 lens choices, although i'm happy with what there is. and if i was buying into a system now, i wouldn't go with pentax because their lens choices don't thrill me. canon and nikon both have tons of lenses, and there are also tons of third party lenses - and some aren't bad. my husband has a very sharp 17 - 70mm sigma on his canon.

Last edited by pcake; May 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
what kind of photos is she most interested in taking right now or in the near future?
I think that she really wants to take pictures of families, children and babies mostly. I am not so sure she is interested in scenery, but the camera will be used for vacations and our own children's events.

Thank you for the input. We are planning to take a trip to some camera stores in the area. That really should be telling, I hope.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Most DSLR cameras are capable of taking professional photographs with the right photographer so I guess it's all down to your budget.

I'm mainly a Nikon user so from a Nikon point of view the cameras to consider are:

2nd hand
Nikon D200/D300
Nikon D5000 (no internal motor)
Nikon D80
Nikon D60
Nikon D40/40x
Nikon D90

New models
Nikon D90
Nikon D5100 (no internal motor)
Nikon D7000

I hear good things about the Pentax K-x system as an entry DSLR and you could get the camera plus 18-55 lens and 50-300 lens for under 500 (probably the same in dollars not sure).

Canon also have a load of new and second hand DSLR's you can look at.

Im still having a load of fun with my Fuji S3 pro which is a 2005 DSLR or that's when the review come out. At the time it only had an 'above average' rating but its the best straight out of camera jpg camera I've ever used. I even used it last night at the beach to take some long exposures and it never ceases to amaze me.

As I say all DSLR's are capable of taking professional photos in the right photographers hands. Here are a couple of photos from yesterday with the S3 Pro and Nikon 18-55VR kit lens (cost around 299)

Howie

Name:  037.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  035.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  034.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  74.3 KB

These seem to have lost some quality during the upload, not sure why as they look much better on my computer before the upload.
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 11:12 AM   #5

Wow,

Really cool pictures. Where is a good place to buy second hand cameras on the web? I appreciate your advice. I have heard good things about Nikon cameras, just have never owned any.

Chip
Old May 8, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
These seem to have lost some quality during the upload, not sure why as they look much better on my computer before the upload.
They look softer because they were were recompressed by the forums software (because they exceeded the maximum size we allow for attachments).

When you use the Attachments manager (paperclip icon) to upload images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes shown by each file type on the screen that comes up with a browse button on it. For jpeg files, the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes), and the dimensions in pixels should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.

If it's larger than the maximum allowed sizes, the forums will attempt to downsize and recompress the image (and that *will* result in loss of quality with the algorithms being used), and that will also strip out the EXIF information in the image header to try and make the image "fit" within our maximum limits.

So, it's a good idea to use an image editor to downsize your images first (making the longest side no larger than 1024 pixels), using a compression setting (JPEG Quality slider in most editors) that keeps the file size less than 253KB. Usually, a setting of around 80% JPEG quality (or around 8 if your editor is using a scale of 1 to 10 or 1 to 12) is good enough to keep the file size small enough for uploading to our servers, provided the image size in dimensions is within limits.

If you're using Windows, you may want to try the free Irfanview to resize your images.

After opening an image (File>Open), just go to the Image>Resize/Resample choice and make the longest dimension no larger than 1024 pixels (and around 800 is fine), making sure the box to retain aspect ratio is checked. Personally, I use the Lanczos algorithm for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices).

Then, after you resize the image so that the dimensions are smaller, use the File>Save As choice and give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original), selecting JPG as the file type. When saving a JPEG file, you'll see a box pop up with a JPEG quality slider. I'd make it about 80% to keep the file size where it's not too large for an image with dimensions of around 800 pixels on it's longest side.

In order to prevent the forums software from modifying images, they must not be any larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, and the file size must not be any larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes). You'll see those sizes shown as the maximum allowed sizes when you use the attachments manager to browse for images and upload them here.

If you stay within those limits, then the forums software will not modify images you attach to posts.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 1:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiptouz View Post
Hi all,

My wife really enjoys photography. She is a very new user and is thinking about making a career out of it. We have been talking about it and she is thinking about getting a good entry level type DSLR and playing around with it for a year or two before upgrading to something that she could use professionally. I am open to both new and used DSLR's and would appreciate any info and opinions that you could give me. Soooo, if you were a supporting husband that wants to get his wife something good for her to use while practicing the craft what would you recommend?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Chip
Need more info in the type of pro photography she would like to get into.

I have Pentax and some Canon equipment...digital wise. I like both manufacturer's stuff.

But if she is considering getting into prof. photography, it would be wise for her to consider either Nikon or Canon equipment as they both have a wider range of equipment and pro level equipment than the other makers.

But...before she buys anything...we need to know what type of professional photography she would like to enter, as different makes, equipment, etc....are sometimes better for particular types of photography, than others.

After we know what pro level photography she aspires to, then recommendations could be made. I would think that it would be wise to use the same manufacturer's equipment (not at the same level-there are consumer and professional levels) when she is a beginner as when she eventually evolves to the working pro photographer ranks.

That way some of her early equipment might still be usable throughout....in other words she can work within the same camera system.

I'm not the one to provide any advice, much past here.

But there are some moderators such as Jim,Mark and I've probably missed some, who could provide excellent advice.

Last edited by lesmore49; May 8, 2011 at 1:39 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 7:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Need more info in the type of pro photography she would like to get into.

But...before she buys anything...we need to know what type of professional photography she would like to enter, as different makes, equipment, etc....are sometimes better for particular types of photography, than others.
Wow, I am impressed with all the willingness to help. Thank you again so much.

From our talking she really is interested in doing family photography. I would think families, kids, babies, stuff like that. I am pretty sure she is not interested in doing weddings. I would hope that she could also get into corporate photography...Obviously, this is from someone who is very inexperienced at this point and just a wish list. If I am not clear enough please let me know and I can try to be more precise.

Thank you,

Chip
Old May 9, 2011, 1:35 AM   #9

i agree that for business, it's canon or nikon - i'm a big canon fan myself. and lenses are important for an aspiring photographer. if your wife is getting into portraits, there's a great (and cheap!) lens for canon dslr's she might like

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...4922453&sr=8-1

for what it is, it's cheap. it won't be any good for landscapes, architecture or action, but it does do great portraits and lower light photography depending on preference. it's tack sharp, too. you do have to be gentle with it, but it's probably the best quality bang for your buck. she might also like the sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 - 4 - not cheap, but nice pics, fairly fast, and a nice shorter zoom that's pretty wide.

on the other hand, if you're wife wants to learn right now, and isn't worried about buying into a system yet, there are other options. you've probably read about the pentax k-x already. competitively priced entry level dslr with good low light performance. and this 2 lens kit covers a lot of ground http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7...4922888&sr=1-2

last thought - instead of a dslr, she might want to start off with micro 4/3's. the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens is a great lens when it's not sold out, and a good portrait and low light lens. your wife might like it with the olympus epl1, which shoots great quality jpg's, raws, has all the settings of a dslr and also comes with a short zoom lens.

Last edited by pcake; May 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 2:11 AM   #10

For business use, go with the canon or nikon.

Depending on what you are shooting with the entry level dslr. Indoor flash stuff the nikon has the better flash system. Action stuff the canon has the better AF system.