Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2011, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Panasonic LX5 or Canon G11

Recently I have started to thinking about getting a new camera, since I don't have a decent camera(Sony DSC-p73) to take a capture.

I was thinking of getting a DSLR(eg Canon 500D), for my everyday use but they are too big for me, plus I am total noob for photography.

So I decided to take a P&S camera, and I am currently having a great opportunity to get one. For a some amount of money (350) i can get either a Panasonic LX5 or Canon G11!

I prefer Canon, I believe it can deliver better shots, but it is maybe to big for me, since I plan to wear my camera in a pocket/car. Zooming option is important to me, so i can bypass that, but can LX5 produce as good as G11 shots?
Benko's Full & Prime

Benko's Ultra Lite and Clean ROM
Intel Core 2 [email protected] | 2x SSD OCZ Vertex | 4GB @1100MHz RAM & ATi 6870 1GB OC'ed
benko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Don't know about the Panasonic, but I do have a Canon G12...one model newer than the G11. I'm happy with the G 12...it's no DSLR, but for a small camera it's versatile, takes very good pictures....I really like it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 2:33 AM   #3

I don't know what you mean by "it can deliver better shots." Canon's OOC JPEGs are better than Panasonic's in terms of color reproduction and handling of noise. That said, the LX5 is an excellent camera and has a brighter lens, and thus will do better in low light. It will give you better video as well and the build quality is a little better imho (not to say build quality on the G series is at all bad though). Despite all of that, I would personally get the Canon because Sony's sensors are less noisy than Panasonic's, Canon handles noise better imho, and I prefer Canon's color in most instances.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:50 AM   #4

Yeah, what I have seen on reviews Canon has more "clear" shots.

P.S I will always shoot in JPEG.
Benko's Full & Prime

Intel Core 2 [email protected] | 2x SSD OCZ Vertex | 4GB @1100MHz RAM & ATi 6870 1GB OC'ed
Old May 9, 2011, 8:07 AM   #5

most cameras can deliver clear shots - heck, my $99 kodak delivers clear shots. i notice that most people who write amazon reviews about blurry shots don't know how to adjust their shutter speed or what to adjust it with. they rely on their auto setting in less than stellar lighting, and often their cameras slow shutter speed down to like 1 /16th or 1/8th of a second, which virtually no one can do hand-held without plenty of blurring.

learning to use a camera is the best way to get good shoots.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 2:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
Yeah, what I have seen on reviews Canon has more "clear" shots.
I'm not sure what you mean by "clear." Panasonic uses a sharper focus than Canon on their P&S models and has in-camera sharpening set higher as well. Additionally, their lenses usually show less distortion, though the G series lenses have always seemed to be quite good. However, Panasonic sensors do tend to produce more noise so once you get above base ISO or a little higher, the noise difference becomes noticeable. As for the IS, both manufacturers seem to have a good IS and which is better is often a matter for debate.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:59 PM   #7

Clear, I mean that colors are more vivid, they look more natural!

BTW I do not know how to manually adjust shutter speed and other settings, I have always preferred auto mode, furthermore, I am not the only one who will use this camera, my parents will use it to, and they have no idea what shutter speed means, so AUTO mode is very important for me, which one is better in that field?
Benko's Full & Prime

Old May 10, 2011, 12:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benko View Post
Clear, I mean that colors are more vivid, they look more natural!
ohhh, color. The LX5 has great, vivid color but as always, the Panasonic color run a little too cool for many peoples' tastes and so yes, Canons colors do look more natural to most (including me). Canon and Olympus are typically regarded as having the the most appealing colors. It sounds like you are like me in that OOC (out of camera) colors are paramount in camera selction - so I would go for the G11.
Old May 11, 2011, 4:14 AM   #9

That's it, I have decided, I will get an Canon G11, thank you everybody for help
Benko's Full & Prime