Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2011, 5:40 PM   #1

Default Bought Canon PowerShot SX130 IS, disapointed and selling, seeking alternative

I bought a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS after having a 110 IS that was damaged. I have had bad picture experiences with this 130 and still find the flash recycle awful. The main use of the camera is for pictures of my kids and the flash kills it and the quality of the pictures were not what I wanted.

The focus on the video was not good either, that is my main issue with the video.

With that said, I am looking for something else that is basically a quick, no bells and whistles point and shoot that also does good 720p or better video with good focus even with zooming. I am willing to spend up to $300 but less would be better.
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2011, 3:27 AM   #2

The focus on Canon P&S cams isn't very impressive, especially in video. There were a lot of complaints over at DPR about the SD4000 and SD4500 going in and out of focus constantly during video. That may be why Canon opted to disable continuous AF on the S95 during video.

Panasonic has the fastest focus in my experience and Sony typically does fairly well also. However, keep in mind that in low light (e.g. indoors), all of these P&S cams are likely to have a little difficulty adjusting focus. Also keep in mind that the SX130 is considered one of the best in its class in terms of image quality so if you are displeased with the quality overall, you may be disappointed with similarly spec'd cameras as well.
Old May 21, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3

I have been thinking about getting a DSLR but I'm not sure if I should buy a newer model that will do 720p or getting an older one that doesn't along with some HD video camera.
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 1:11 PM   #4

Try Nikon Coolpix L120. I have started a thread here-
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38484044
Valaravaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 2:51 PM   #5

I bought a new camcorder a couple years ago and although at first I used it all the time, I quickly got tired of carrying both a camera and a camcorder. I sold off my camcorder and now simply use whatever camera I have on me for video. Ultimately, I was willing to give up some quality and features for convenience.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valaravaus View Post
Try Nikon Coolpix L120. I have started a thread here-
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38484044
I second this. Great point&shoot. These are some shots I've taken with it.

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:01 PM   #7

Those look pretty bad, even for a P&S. Sorry. Oddly enough, the 2 night photos are the best of the bunch in terms of exposure and color.
Old May 25, 2011, 2:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Those look pretty bad, even for a P&S. Sorry. Oddly enough, the 2 night photos are the best of the bunch in terms of exposure and color.
I don' think so. I mean, it's only a point and shoot camera. It's not gonna do wonders for you. At least this one has really nice optical zoom and good low light shots

Old May 26, 2011, 12:29 AM   #9

IQ is far below an FZ35, FZ40 or even the SX30 and the exposure is terrible.
Old May 26, 2011, 1:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
IQ is far below an FZ35, FZ40 or even the SX30 and the exposure is terrible.
The exposure's not all that terrible. From here, you just sound a little biased.