Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2011, 10:54 AM   #11

Well, since the good price I had found on the Pentax k-x 2 lens kit was no longer available at that price today, I just ordered the Pentax k-r with the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm lens for $719 with no tax or shipping. I hope that is a good price and that I love the camera. Can't wait to get it and start learning how to work it. Thanks for all of the advice about cameras and lenses. I hope I can learn to do even half what it can do.

Can you suggest a good card to get and maybe somewhere that has good prices? I saw a Transcend class 10 16 g card for about $30. Is that an ok card to get? Any thoughts on cases? I don't want to lug around anything too big. What else might I need right away to start using the camera when it gets here. THANKS!!
kc4braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 11:02 AM   #12

Transcend are IMO the best deal out there. I use lots of them in SD and CF form and have never had a failure - unlike the "Rolls Royce" of cards which I HAVE had fail. I use 32gb cards which cost a bit more, but $30 for 16gb sounds about right.

For protection in ordinary bags (ones that don't shout "valuable camera inside!") I carry my DSLRs in zip-up neoprene laptop bags. All mine are the BUILT brand.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:04 PM   #13

just remember that when switching over to a DSLR from a point and shoot, you're shots are gonna take some time to get good. Also, you need time itself to set up the shot. For example, it's extremely hard to hard pull out your camera and try to capture something quickly because your exposure needs to be adjusted beforehand. Sometimes, you even need to take 3 - 4 test shots before you can decide if the lighting is ideal. Point and shoots are ease cameras. You turn that thing on and get your shot within 5 second. But if you're willing to take time, or can afford it, a DSLR is worth it.

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 1:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil4all View Post
just remember that when switching over to a DSLR from a point and shoot, you're shots are gonna take some time to get good. Also, you need time itself to set up the shot. For example, it's extremely hard to hard pull out your camera and try to capture something quickly because your exposure needs to be adjusted beforehand. Sometimes, you even need to take 3 - 4 test shots before you can decide if the lighting is ideal. Point and shoots are ease cameras. You turn that thing on and get your shot within 5 second. But if you're willing to take time, or can afford it, a DSLR is worth it.
I agree and disagree. First, let me say: there are times when you will want to make adjustments to ANY camera (DSLR or digicam) based upon how you had the camera set up when you put it away.

Having said that, there is nothing about a digicam that makes it quicker to get to that point or make that tweaking unnecessary. For example, if the photographer leaves a camera in full auto mode. They can pick up a DSLR, get it powered on, focused and take the shot faster than a digicam. If the photographer was messing around in "shutter priority" mode in their last shoot - whether they use a DSLR or digicam they may need to make changes.

It just read as if you were saying a DSLR is inherently slower to use than a digicam. That's not the case.

It's worth mentioning though that a DSLR is NOT a magic point and shoot camera. You can't leave it in full auto and expect the camera to 'get it right' all the time. That wont happen either.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 2:19 PM   #15

Good luck with the k-r! That sounds like a great price...I bought a k-x with 2 lenses (including the 55-300mm) for $699 from amazon a couple months ago. Been extremely happy with it. Took pictures at my daughter's choir concert last week...indoors, terrible lighting and they turned out decent. Not perfectly crystal clear, but I was far away, and as I said, the lighting was not good. Elementary gymnasium lighting...the worst! They turned out far better than my previous point & shoot, that's for sure. Anyways, hope you have lots of fun with your new camera!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 3:55 PM   #16

Thanks for your posts. I am feeling a little more confident about the purchase. I am hoping I can use auto settings until I figure it out. I think this summer I can practice on indoor soccer games ( don't usually photograph at these so if they aren't great, no big deal), golf outings and maybe even bowling if I can figure out how to take decent pics in a bowling alley. The lighting just sucks and is always in the wrong places for where I am shooting. I have no decent bowling pics unless I go stand on the lane with the subject. We do have a vacation in June to DC and I hope I can can good pics there. I am thinking most will be outside so maybe not so much low light to deal with.
kc4braves is offline   Reply With Quote