Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2011, 1:44 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-R or Canon T1i

I currently own a Samsung GX-1S DSLR which I understand is a Pentax *ist DS2 clone. I have had it for the past 4 or 5 years and, for my needs, it seems to work pretty well. I would like to upgrade though. I was going to buy the Pentax K-R ($650) but I noticed that the Canon EOS Rebel T1i is on sale ($400). Which is the better buy and why? Thanks for any input, I am a novice when it comes to cameras. Oh yeah, besides the lens the Samsung came with I do have one 70mm - 300mm lens which fits the Pentax.
texasdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2011, 2:29 PM   #2

If you do not want to get a new 70-300 lens, and happy with your current lenses. The pentax k-r is a good camera. The T1i has the better AF, but the pentax has the cleaner iso at 3200 and 6400.

The canon ef 70-300 IS USM is 450 dollars.

The canon lenses with USM focus much faster then the pentax lens. Even the sdm lenses, which are faster then their dc motor lenses.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:03 PM   #3

Buying the KR would save you the money for replacing the lenses. When you say you want to "upgrade" - what is the limitation you find with your current DS/GX-1S?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 5:34 PM   #4

shoturtle - I will keep the lenses in consideration when I make my final decision. I think I'll make a list of lenses I would like to have and add the prices up for both. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:41 PM   #5

mtngal - I wouldn't really say limitations, but I think technology advancements might justify calling it an upgrade. For instance, the GX-1S is a 6.1 mp camera with a 2.5" display and can do a burst with about 2.8 frames per second. The K-R is a 12 mp camera with a 3" display and can do a burst with about 6 frames per second and it records 720p HD video. Granted I'm not that concerned with the HD video recording but I'd say the K-R was an upgrade to the GX-1S. I think the GX-1S is a entry level DSLR, while the K-R and T1i are closer to mid level DSLRs
Old May 9, 2011, 5:57 PM   #6

just know that while the pentax can burst at 6fps, they are not focus burst. It is closer to 3fps with the slower speed lenses with the dal 55-300 and 18-55 and any other is not a sdm motor lens.
Old May 9, 2011, 6:11 PM   #7

Is that true for most cameras? You will only achieve focused burst with their high end lenses, sdm, usm, etc? That is good to know. I don't take a lot of action shots, but it would be nice to catch a bird landing or taking off in focus.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdant View Post
Is that true for most cameras? You will only achieve focused burst with their high end lenses, sdm, usm, etc? That is good to know. I don't take a lot of action shots, but it would be nice to catch a bird landing or taking off in focus.
Being a former Pentax user, I can assure you that you won't get satisfactory results from Pentax, Canon or any other make unless you can afford to upgrade to the USM/SDM/HSM type lenses, if you're trying to take any kind of action photographs. That being said, you can get lucky sometimes and get some nice shots, but they will be few and far between. If you're mainly taking landscapes, portraits, etc. you may not need these types of lenses at all, but you'll still eventually want to upgrade to quality prime lenses and/or macro lenses as your skills improve and your interests broaden.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9

Even with the non USM lenses of the canon, you get 3.4fps focus shots. The USM makes it better in your favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdant View Post