Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Have a promaster lens, which camera to buy?

I have a Vivitar Promaster 7 zoom lens on an old 35mm camera , would love to take the lens and use it on digital camera. Any suggestions as to what camera would be a good starter or... Thanks in advance. By the way, love this forum, I've already learned so much.

Sid
cowichansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2011, 9:40 AM   #2

What mount does it have? There's a number of different mount types and Vivitar made lenses for pretty much all of them at one time or another. Depending on what type of mount the lens has, you may or may not be able to use it on a digital camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 9:53 AM   #3

How do I figure that out? It's on a Pentax K1000, a camera which has been a totally awesome camera, but... With the price of developing, etc., it made more sense to get a digital. I have to 'screw' it on, by which I mean I seat the lens on the camera and turn it a little til it clicks in. Thanks for helping me to know what kinds of questions to ask.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:49 PM   #4

I may be wrong, but it seems logical to me that a Pentax DSLR such as a K-x would be able to use that lens. However, if you do buy a K-x, get it with the kit lens. It costs very little more than the body only.

You might want to contact Pentax reps to see what they say.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/live-chat/
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5

If the lens is mounted on a Pentax K1000 it can be used on any of the Pentax dSLR cameras (either the Kx or the newer Kr would be good choices). You wouldn't need an adaptor, though I suspect it's probably a manual lens (you set the aperture on the lens and its manual focus), which means that it will continue to work that way (it won't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure). That means that you'll have to focus manually, set the aperture on the lens then push a button for the camera to set the shutter speed. It's not difficult to do and if you use manual lenses often, it becomes second nature. The Pentax dSLR cameras have a matte viewfinder, not a split screen, but it didn't take me long to make the transition from split screen, just a bit of practice.

I do second getting the kit lens because they are good value, reasonably good lenses for not a lot of extra cost. And they have the advantage of being auto focus/auto exposure and a little less to think about as you transition from film to digital.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Vivitar was never a premium brand. I really wouldn't choose Pentax just so that you can use an old manual focus lens which will struggle with the resolution of the modern cameras and quite possibly suffer from ghosting because it lacks the pre-digital coatings.

Your optimal use of the lens may be simply to sell both it and the body as a trade-in.

There are many good reasons to buy a Pentax camera, but I don't think your old lens is one of them.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:11 PM   #7

Vivitar sold lenses made by a number of manufacturers and they varied in quality. Some were outstanding. Some have reached cult status and are selling for quite a bit. I'm not familiar with your particular lens, but I wouldn't arbitrarily dismiss it without some research (my much loved macro is a Viv Series One 105 macro). Since one of the reasons I bought a Pentax in the first place was a small collection of manual lenses, I can understand it being a factor in your camera choice, but it shouldn't be your only one.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:25 PM   #8

Thanks so much for all the input. I'd like to be able to use the lens I have, and am trying to factor that into the decision as to which camera to buy. I have to look at what I'd like to have versus what I can afford to buy.