Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Canon went down need some advice buying or fixing

The worse has happened. I use a Canon XSI have 4 lenses and other accessories. I have a 2 battery pack attached and with the 2 batteries it seemed I could shoot forever. I shoot about every day. I went to get the camera and it's dead. I have 2 battery chargers so I waited until I got the green light put both into the camera and shot 150 pics and it did not have enough power left to transfer pics into aperture and photoshop.
It only took 10 minutes to recharge the batteries and I tried one at a time and one would not power up the camera to shoot. So I talk with Canon and here is my QUESTION. They say average fix is $199 but will not touch it until they have my go ahead. They also have a trade up program and would send out a refurbished (overnight with a paid label to send in my xsi ) These prices are for bodies only.
A Canon X1i is $480, X2i for $512 or a 7d for $1087.72. I use my camera for posting on my website almost every day and use a mac with Apurture and Photoshop to render Items for sale. I really cannot afford more than the7D as much as I would like. I would kindly like any advice from all you fine users.
meyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 11:54 AM   #2

From what you've written, it's still unclear whether the problem is with the camera or the batteries (I'm assuming you tried using a battery WITHOUT the grip? If not, try that to rule out the problem being in the grip).

Now, if the problem still exists just using a single battery in the camera WITHOUT the batter pack, the next step is:
the grip should have an option to use AAA batteries instead of the proprietary. Try that. That will help determine whether it's the batteries or the camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Excellent advice from John. If it does turn out to be the camera and you can afford to trade up, I'm a big fan of the 7D. $1,082 is a nice price for that camera, refurb or not. My next choice would be the t2i, which has been called the little brother of the 7D. Did you ask them what they would charge to trade up to a brand new camera? Maybe that's not part of the trade up program?

Last edited by jdnan; May 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4

The refurb price on the t2i isn't quite as exceptional as the price on the 7D. You can get the t2i brand new for 699 @ Adorama or Abes of Maine.