Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2011, 4:58 PM   #1

Default need compact camera for wildlife and macro- help!

Hi- I'm looking for a new compact digital. I work in wildlife biology and I have to travel light with all the other gear I carry thus I can't take a DSLR out with me (too heavy) and need a good compact. I have been looking at the Canon S95 but not sure I want all the manual settings. Although I love photography I don't have time when I'm working in the field to play with controls, settings, ect. I need something simple that takes amazing shots of wildlife in low light settings. I also love a good macro. Suggestions? Does such a camera exist?
jlkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2011, 6:31 PM   #2

The larger sensors and accompanying brighter lens that are required for low light shooting are only found together on "enthusiast" models. Thus, all of these models have manual controls - but that doesn't mean you have to use them. Since your post indicates that you might be taking low light macros, check out the Olympus XZ-1. The S95 is a great cam but the lens starts to shutdown quickly as you zoom and thus low light shots are best done at full wide.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Have a look at the 4/3 cameras. They should be able to handle low light very well, though I have no personal experience of them.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4

If you are looking for a wildlife compact camera then i would suggest panasonic fz100 or fz40. they have 24x optical zoom and also 32x extended zoom at 10mega pixel. So you can shoot animals from a far distance capturing their natural expressions and moods. They are also good at macro and if you want super macro you cal always add macro converters like lc55 and raynox 250 or 150 or tele converters which you cannot add to canon s95.

if want good low light results then i would recommend fz40 over fz100 as it is better low light performance. but the swiveling screen of fz100 helps a lot in taking pictures from challenging positions.
Below i have given the link to my shots using panasonic fz100.

but i must tell they are not as compact as s95 !!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...rst-shots.html
Old May 16, 2011, 3:34 AM   #5

All the FZ cams have terrible low light performance.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:15 AM   #6

I use an FZ38 for wildlife...you can see my pics on my Flickr.
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 4:43 AM   #7

seems like your best bet is to go micro 4/3. the olympus epl1 comes to mind - small, light, much bigger sensor than digicams, and i hear it has good auto settings. it will also do well in low light.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote