Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Default I Want to buy DSLR - which is your favorite, 5/4/11?

Hi,

I want to buy a DSLR to take pictures of indoor sporting events and indoor dance performances.

I am looking for cameras able to take high ISO pictures with as little noise as possible and as little motion blur as possible WITHOUT a flash.
I don't mind using multiple lenses to maintain high quality images at the various zoom levels.
I am also looking for quick shot to shot time both with and without the flash.

What is your favorite in the following price ranges?:
1) Less than $500
2) $500-$1000
3) $1000-$1500

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a DSLR to take pictures of indoor sporting events and indoor dance performances.

I am looking for cameras able to take high ISO pictures with as little noise as possible and as little motion blur as possible WITHOUT a flash.
I don't mind using multiple lenses to maintain high quality images at the various zoom levels.
I am also looking for quick shot to shot time both with and without the flash.

What is your favorite in the following price ranges?:
1) Less than $500
2) $500-$1000
3) $1000-$1500

Thanks!
Juggernaut
My opinion

Less than $500: Nikon D3100 (may be slightly over $500)
$500-$1000: Canon T3i
$1000-$1500: Nikon D7000
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 5:59 AM   #3

Hi what you would be looking for is a camera that has high ISO as you have said but to take the shoots you are looking for then its going to require good fast lenses. which will take up the majority of your budget.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 9:11 AM   #4

The following results are coming from a Pentax fan, but are also consistent with what you want.

Less than $500: Pentax K-x (king of high iso)
$500-$1000: Nikon 5100
$1000-$1500: Pentax K-5
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 3:11 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The question is a bit naive. You don't say what your lens budget is, which suggests that you think that the camera will do it all for you.

Indoor sports? What sports? What level? What will you be doing with the pictures? What kind of access do you have? How well do you know the sports? We can assume that you are a beginner when it comes to photography.

Shooting in low light is difficult, you need 3 things to get good pictures:
1. Good equipment - a good camera with good high-ISO, fast and accurate AF, and fast lenses. None of this is cheap.
2. You need access. If you have crummy angles and poor positions to shoot from, your images will be uninspiring.
3. You need a lot of skill with your equipment and knowledge of the sports you are shooting.

Will an entry-level DSLR be better than a P&S? Sure, but without the 3 elements above your results are still going to be very modest.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The question is a bit naive. You don't say what your lens budget is, which suggests that you think that the camera will do it all for you.

Indoor sports? What sports? What level? What will you be doing with the pictures? What kind of access do you have? How well do you know the sports? We can assume that you are a beginner when it comes to photography.

Shooting in low light is difficult, you need 3 things to get good pictures:
1. Good equipment - a good camera with good high-ISO, fast and accurate AF, and fast lenses. None of this is cheap.
2. You need access. If you have crummy angles and poor positions to shoot from, your images will be uninspiring.
3. You need a lot of skill with your equipment and knowledge of the sports you are shooting.

Will an entry-level DSLR be better than a P&S? Sure, but without the 3 elements above your results are still going to be very modest.
Hi Peripatetic,

Thanks for the information. I do understand that the lens will be a big factor, but I assumed that the lens will not improve upon the problems underlying the camera. Is that a mistake for me to think so?

I don't have a set budget - it basically depends on what I might get in each of the price ranges I mentioned. This is all for a starter dSLR - but I know myself to be a very discriminating person when viewing images so I want to see if the quality differences will be worth the price differences to me.

I recognize that I need a camera/lens combo that will allow me to use high ISO with minimal noise as most of the time I am at a dance competition or piano performance where I am not allowed to use flash.
I recognize that my point and shoots don't give me the quality I want because the ISO performance is not adequate for such poor lighting conditions.
I would also want to account for the fact that I might end up taking pictures at indoor basketball games or soccer games.
I usually will be around 20-40 feet away in most instances at all of these performances.
These are for my children's performances. I am not looking for perfection but I would like to take the shots with more confidence knowing that there is a high chance that I will be happy with the images - this will allow me to enjoy the actual performance rather than getting distracted by the inadequacies of the camera.

So I would expect I would want a quick lens in combination with a camera with low noise at high ISO levels (say 6400 or 12800).
I am still ignorant to much of this stuff but I am learning & I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; May 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 3:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The problem with "just kids stuff" is that the lighting conditions are usually much worse than you would find in a pro venue. So it actually makes that part harder. On the flip side though you might find access a bit easier.

Also, don't just assume flash isn't allowed - check, because if it is, then that makes your life much easier and possibly cheaper.

Really you want to try for the best high-ISO performance you can get, with the best AF system you can get, and a good sports zoom.

Realistically you are probably looking at a 70-200 f2.8 lens and fill up your budget with what you have left.

Sigma is pretty good bang-for-the-buck @$950. For sports level AF you really are probably best off with Canon or Nikon. $1200 for the Nikon D7000 will get you a state-of-the-art sensor and good AF system. $1500 if you include a decent kit lens.

So is $2500 too much? If not then my suggestion would be the D7000 + 18-105 kit and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. That should get you started okay. This sort of spend is very much entry-level for sports shooting despite its rather alarming price tag. High-end prices are well over $10,000 for a camera and a couple of lenses.

Obviously you can spend less, but if you want to not worry too much that the equipment is letting you down then I think $2,500 is a decent budget to start with.

Last edited by peripatetic; May 16, 2011 at 3:15 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote