Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2011, 8:58 AM   #1

Default Compact point & shoot for beach vacation

Any recommendations for a smaller point & shoot camera for an upcoming beach vacation? Something inexpensive ($125-150 or so), fairly compact, quick, auto features, and durable for teen-agers. My daughter will take it to college with her next fall. Thank you!
dkhlcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2011, 5:54 PM   #2

The Canon SX130 can be had for this, though you may have to wait for a sale and it's not quite pocketable. Most of the cameras that are smaller than the SX130 in this price range aren't terribly good imho.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhlcmo View Post
Any recommendations for a smaller point & shoot camera for an upcoming beach vacation? Something inexpensive ($125-150 or so), fairly compact, quick, auto features, and durable for teen-agers. My daughter will take it to college with her next fall. Thank you!
When you mentioned that this camera will be used on a vacation at the beach my first thought was that it should be waterproof-otherwise, the money you invest will go down the drain (sorry for the pun).

Olympus,Canon, Panasonic, Pentax all make good waterproof cameras. It's a matter of how easy a particular camera is to use, how it feels in hand, the cool factor( it is for your daughter- coolness is indeed important).

I would suggest you take a trip into one of the big box stores and try a few out.See which one your daughter is comfortable with, how easy it is for her to go through the menus, etc.

One last point, olympus makes an 790SW waterproof camera that sell for around $130.00. It gets good reviews from users and output is pretyy good for a P&S.

good luck

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I have come to the conclusion that I do need to make a trip to one or two of the big box stores to check a few out before making a decision. I've also come to the conclusion that there are so many good choices for an inexpensive point & shoot these days! Just makes it harder to decide!
dkhlcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 2:57 AM   #5

zig actually does have a good point. I think an even bigger concern than the water, however, is the sand. Olympus' tough cams are usually very poorly rated in terms of image quality btw, though they are usually the highest rated in terms of "toughness." I would probably start with Panasonic as the IQ is typically better and they usually place 2nd for toughness.