Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2011, 7:50 AM   #1

Default zoom size

with the advent of mfgs touting the megazoom compact cameras just how much zoom is really needed for general picture taking, like family vacations etc. and at what zoom level does shake become apparent. it seems to me especially with such compact cameras that stabilization would not be that effective if a camera is small and no viewfinder which seems to be the norm these days.

how much zoom is recommended.
cmplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2011, 4:00 PM   #2

How much zoom do you need? I find that I shoot mostly in wide. For trips to the zoo, I have a 24x zoom though an 18x probably would have sufficed. Image quality is obviously quite degraded at the tele end of all of these cameras.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:44 PM   #3

I think it depends to some degree on what camera you buy. I had a Panasonic FZ7, with 12X optical zoom. It has very good image stabilization. I think I could use it at full zoom in daylight, dawn, and dusk without many problems with blurred pictures. I have a Casio ZR100, which I really like. 12.5X optical zoom. However, its image stabilization does not seem as effective. I have to really brace myself in less than ideal lighting to get sharp pictures at full zoom. It's a good camera for me for other reasons though.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 8:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
I think it depends to some degree on what camera you buy. I had a Panasonic FZ7, with 12X optical zoom. It has very good image stabilization. I think I could use it at full zoom in daylight, dawn, and dusk without many problems with blurred pictures. I have a Casio ZR100, which I really like. 12.5X optical zoom. However, its image stabilization does not seem as effective. I have to really brace myself in less than ideal lighting to get sharp pictures at full zoom. It's a good camera for me for other reasons though.
The man has great knowledge
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 6:49 AM   #5

G'day cmp

re-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplvr View Post
with ... megazoom compact cameras just how much zoom is really needed for general picture taking?
Well - one could also ask how long is a piece of string...?
Seriously tho ... there are real & serious limits to any lens's performance while zooming - and no lens can cover the extremes of wide-angle thru to narrow-angle [telephoto]

For a lens to traverse from say, 60degrees of coverage down to 6degrees takes a fair bit of speccy design work - for a lens to cover from 80degrees down to 4degrees is really asking too much [60 > 6deg equals 14x zoom:- 28mm > 400mm; 80 > 4deg equals 30x zoom:- 20mm > 600mm in full-frame terms]

The "best" lenses will give good and consistent quality across the zoom range, and those makers also limit the amount of zoom the lens does ... 7x or 10x or 15x, not 20x or 30x or whatever - and then put the money saved on not making a super-duper lens goes into noise reduction &/or other features

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6

It depends on, from what distance you want the object to be captured, still I would say minimum 15x.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 11:47 AM   #7

I shoot a lot of fire and rescue work and my 30x zoom comes in very handy so me the longest zoom is a plus although if its not sharp that doesn't matter and my Fuji HS20 zoom is sharp from wide and telephoto.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote