Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Suggestions?

Hi! I am new to this site.
I am trying to narrow down a good camera for action shots.
My daughters are in soccer,softball and a high school competition cheerleader, I would LOVE to be able to get great shots of them.
I have been searching for about a week now and can not decide on a camera.
My budget is a little over 800.00
I would also use the camera for nature shots and every day use.But I really want to get good action shots.
I have been looking at these cameras
1: Sony Cyber shot Dsc-HX100V
2: Sony Cyber Shot HX9V
3: Canon Rebel T3i
4:Sony Alpha NEX5K
5: Sony Alpha a55vl
6: Nikon D3100
Or I am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your time

Jessica
5starrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2011, 1:49 AM   #2

That's quite a range of cameras. I would rule out #1 and #2 for action shots. P&S cams aren't well-suited to these types of shots. The dSLRs are your best bet.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:21 PM   #3

I would add the T2i to your list its going to be cheaper than the T3i and with the money saved you can use it towards a long fast lens which you will need
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 2:31 PM   #4

It all comes down to your level of expectation. Of the 3, competitive cheer is the most difficult because of the low light. I wouldn't expect any digicam on the market to do well in that environment if you want action shots.

For softball / soccer - it's tough. It depends on what your expectations are. Depending on your expectations, it may be ok with a digicam. But it may require a DSLR and long telephoto lens. If you want high enough quality the lenses required to get high quality for full field soccer can cost thousands of dollars.

You've got some difficult types of photography. I shoot soccer and softball so I can help you there. What you really have to be careful of is all the advice from people that don't shoot any of this. That's dangerous advice. But, let's try to define what level of quality you're after
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 2:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It all comes down to your level of expectation. Of the 3, competitive cheer is the most difficult because of the low light. I wouldn't expect any digicam on the market to do well in that environment if you want action shots.

For softball / soccer - it's tough. It depends on what your expectations are. Depending on your expectations, it may be ok with a digicam. But it may require a DSLR and long telephoto lens. If you want high enough quality the lenses required to get high quality for full field soccer can cost thousands of dollars.

You've got some difficult types of photography. I shoot soccer and softball so I can help you there. What you really have to be careful of is all the advice from people that don't shoot any of this. That's dangerous advice. But, let's try to define what level of quality you're after

I am looking for clear detailed shots. with minimal blur. I don't expect professional shots. I have only used digital cameras before, but have wanted for a while to get into DSLR's. I love taking pictures. I am also going to be enrolling in a photography class to learn better technique.I want to be able to catch them stealing home, making a goal, and with my oldest she is a flyer for the cheer team so I would like to be able to get a good shot of that.
I am open to any other camera suggestions as well.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Lots of good points. I am glad I found this forum before I went out and bought one.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:25 PM   #6

Blur.
Blur is going to be caused by one (or more) of the following:
1) camera shake - this happens when you can't hold the camera steady enough. For the purposes of sports shooting with the types of gear we're talking about this is not an issue. If your shutter speed is so low that you have camera shake then your shutter speed is simply too low.

2) Motion blur - shutter speed isn't fast enough for the type of motion. This will be a huge problem with the cheer photos indoors.

3) the subject isn't in good focus. This will happen more frequently with sports photos. Tracking a moving subject is one of the most difficult tasks for a camera to perform. It is especially difficult in low light AND when your subject is moving towards/away from you. It's easier to take a photo of a subject moving perpendicular to you.

Because of the competitive cheer, I don't think it's even worth looking at a non DSLR. so let's take those off the table. I think the Nikon d5100 and Canon t2i are good/solid choices. The focus systems are better than the competition. I'll have to add more tomorrow.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 7:42 PM   #7

Thanks!!