Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2011, 5:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
I liked the IQ of Fuji HS over Panasonic based upon this comparison and sample pics
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...8150939&page=1

get through the entire thread ....very interesting and informative
All I see are a single set of pics taken indoors. You don't expect any intelligent person to make a judgment based upon that do you?

Also, as has been mentioned several times now, if IQ is slightly better on Camera A but everything else is better on Camera B and Camera C, few people would consider Camera A the "best."

If I wanted a really fast car, I wouldn't simply buy the fastest car I could find because I also have to consider cost of the vehicle, cost of car insurance, fuel consumption, interior comfort and space, reliability .... Sure, there are people who do simply want the fastest car without regard for anything else, but they are few and far between which is why these types of cars are made in extremely limited production. Likewise, you couldn't call this car the "best" car simply because it was the fastest.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:50 PM   #12

If one considers IQ, especially in low light, as the main (if not the only) quality to look for, than the choice should be a DSLR. But, of course, one buys a superzoom primarily for its zoom and is usually willing to sacrifice some IQ to get the kind of telephoto capability that would cost thousands of dollars (and a ridiculously enormous lens) with a DSLR.

So, even when comparing superzooms, one has to look at all features in general. I've also been researching the 'best' superzoom and am gradually realising that, although some cameras do have better IQ than others (e.g. the FZ35), the difference in quality is not always obvious when looking at a 15 x 20 cm print.

So, in conclusion, I guess there isn't a 'Best Superzoom' in absolute terms; there is a 'best personal camera' which may be a different one for different persons.
Avel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:52 PM   #13

Your conclusions through web research is suspect to having a very skewed view based on the poster and their knowledge and ability to use that particular camera. Nothing beats hands on use if it is possible. In fact, there isn't one camera that I have which I am not proud to say is in the high teens that I have not tried first before purchase. Too much time is spent checking this and that over this and that and no time actually photographing. The settings I use for one camera is almost completely opposite of the other to get the best results each has to offer to my liking.
Key thing is liking that camera enough to use it. Even if it may be the best at whatever you feel it should be for what you want, you may be put off by the controls, the buried menus, the ease or changing settings on the fly or not. I have found that superzooms do a great job overall but it really excels in one area time and again and that is macro. Low light, I really don't bother with any of them. I would be interested on your measurbating decision and post what you can get with it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Your conclusions through web research is suspect to having a very skewed view based on the poster and their knowledge and ability to use that particular camera.
Regardless of someones skills with a camera, that isn't going to change the amount of noise produced by a given sensor, nor the amount of noise reduction applied by the camera's internal processing. It is also isn't going to change how sharp an image is at a given focal length, aperture, etc. It's not going to change the camera's performance at a give ISO or its color rendition (pretty easy to tell if proper WB was used) either. If you can get a chance to shoot with every camera you're interested in, that's great, but few of us have that luxury short of buying and returning a pile of cameras.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:46 PM   #15

vIZnquest, unfortunately not everybody has the chance to go to a store and try out a camera before buying it; that would be ideal but it all depends where one lives.

Some of us have to order their products online because they're unavailable where they live and, in these cases, there is no option but to look up experts'/users' opinions on the internet.
Avel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:04 AM   #16

I'm posting here quite late for this topic, but hope some people who are like me searching for a good/best IQ superzoom, read this, and will post their opinions.
I am between 2 super zooms: p500 and FZ40/45
The major disadvantages on each: battery life on P500 and to take off the lens cap on FZ40 before doing anything.
But I found yesterday some very attractive photos on Flickr, taken with P500. Just outstanding!
I'm sure they are all processed: sharpened, saturation adjusted, etc...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefcham...7626349529966/

What do you think?
zaltz is offline   Reply With Quote