Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Speed of Sony TX5/TX10, Oly Tough 8000, Panasonic TS-2/TS-3

Looking to buy a waterproof camera as a secondary camera. I would like to know which is the fastest camera. I read all the specs but sometimes, the official specs is different from real-world use. I have heard some complains such as the camera needing 3secs in between shots to "process image", or that it takes a long time for the camera to switch to video mode. I'm not looking for official specs, just trying to get a general idea of the cameras' speeds in real-world situation.

For those who has the following cameras: Sony TX5/TX10, Oly Tough 8000, Panasonic TS2/TS3, can you please give me an idea of the camera speed:
- are you pleased with the shot-to-shot speed?
- what about when using flash, does it feel like it takes forever for the flash to recycle?
- is the focusing speed decent? And shutter lag?
- does it take a while when you switch to video mode?

Thanks in advance.
pixelbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2

If you haven't bought the waterproof camera, I think it is good time to buy especially Panasonic TS3. Because it just decreased the price this month to lower than $300 while other cameras didn't.
warrenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:44 AM   #3

I have a TS3 the use of high speed SD cards reduces shot to shot time to 1 sec.
I ues: SanDisk SDSDXP1-008G-A75 8GB Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card
jstampfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:14 AM   #4

I have the Olympus 8000 and while it's quite fast, I'm not happy with the IQ. Usually the images are blurry and pale and you have to post process them. I've played around with all the settings and I can't get it right. It's also made out of different metals so after 1 year now it's "rusted" in several places, and hinges, mem card spring are all starting to give up. You also need to be very close to your underwater object, otherwise everything will be the same color (greenish). I've taken photos in the Caribbean with very clear water, so it's not that. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the new one (810) is better, I don't know.
Marquzz is offline   Reply With Quote