Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2011, 2:59 PM   #11

Today I received the most recent guidelines for photography. The door is wide-open for all reasonable approaches. I can even shoot 35mm in color. And yes, .jpeg converted to .tiff is perfectly fine. Options galore--wonderful. I am still reeling a bit from the confusion--I figured what I had to do, braced myself for money and technical decisons--and the governor gave me a reprieve!

I may go 35mm (minolta srt 101, some telescopic long lens, 28mm minolta that I can't find--we're talking 40 years old from photo shop in Munich). I feel comfortable with the camera, found a battery, but the digital seems like a better fit with self-everything, chance to view any problems on the spot, etc.

Phil, your advice is spot on. It will be easier, better, cheaper, quicker to get commercial processing. I have been looking at ink and printers. I discovered that the acceptable HO ink doesn't work with an current printer--of course that could change at any minute I suppose. I'm a one-man show here and need to "outsource" some of this.

Relief--now I can understand the photographic standards, still with a learning curve but at least I know where to start, decisions simplified, money and time saved. It was your time given that has been such a help.

Best, Mike
mgeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 10:18 PM   #12

Evening Mike,

I too agree with Phil that commercial printing would certainly be easier. You may want to consider some reputable internet printers, where you can submit your images on line, they can adjust them to the 300dpi, the correct paper, etc and ship you the completed images. On the other hand supporting local business is a plus, if the prices are affordable. You can email and call them up to discuss your needs.

Personally I have not printed anything commercially - well other than at Costco and it turned out great. I really have not readily found an online comparison of online printers - I know that they exist, I just forgot how I came across it before.

http://www.olegkikin.com/online-photo-printing.htm

There are some forums down the list (main page) here in Steve's that are dedicated to printing that may be useful.

If you are considering Minolta, Sony bought them out, so to a fair extent older Minolta lens fit on Sony dSLRs. That too may be an option. You may wish to visit the Sony Minolta forum here on Steve's for some additional information.

http://www.google.com/search?q=minolta+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&pq=minolta%20&xhr=t&q=minolt a+lenses+on+sony+dslr&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&clien t=firefox-a&hs=u9o&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=minolta+ lenses+&pbx=1&fp=22b523e58d03e469&biw=1282&bih=885

Last edited by interested_observer; May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 11:03 AM   #13

I thought I posted but don't see it. So, since you can't say thinks enough, thanks Phil for sound advice. I was starting the same old tail chase for a printer as I had done for the camera. And enjoying the same old blood pressure spike. How can they recommend inks that aren't compatible with printers on the market? I will say, the list of inks has been enlarged so maybe that issue is addressed.

Your advice is perfect and in the long run likely as economical. Actually, with printing prices I have a better chance of reimbursement than for equipment. You said it, I read it, sigh of relief.

I noticed your tag line on your posts refer to Fuji and Panasonic long lens cameras. I have selected the Panasonic Fz35 based on RAW, rejected a fuji model number buried on my desk (26-28x?). Any Panasonic (Lumix) or Fuji to recommend to me? Non-Dslr, non-RAW, just solid camera for good wide angle and reasonable zoom. I know there have been good things said about Panasonic, not so good about others. I also know about opinions.

Regards
Mike
Old May 28, 2011, 11:08 AM   #14

ooops Phil, maybe it wasn't you with the camera tagline. still dizzy I guess.

Mike
Old May 28, 2011, 12:47 PM   #15

I looks like you are down to 2 decisions - a camera and a printing service.

It looks like that just about any camera that appeals to you will qualify and be very capable of supplying your needs.

On the printing service, keep your analysis as a basis for your vendor selection. You might ask for a sample and turn it in to your gov project manager for approval. Also, when you have prints made, in the special instructions area, cite the appropriate items; 300 dpi, 99 year paper, appropriate inks, and "as per government instruction XXXXXX" and give a link. Also, talk with the manager of the printing service about your special needs, and let him know about the potential volume/frequency of your ordering activity along with turn around needs.

Its difficult for the government to disallow actual commercial pricing from a public vendor with a posted commercial pricing list. Showing your due diligence will also help protect you.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011, 9:15 AM   #16

Hi Phil--3rd attempt tp post back. Where do they go? In any event, your idea for "outsourcing" printing is how I will go. Even with simplified requirements, as you say I have plenty to learn and do.

I note you praise fuji and lumix. Lumix seems to be where I am going but I did pass up a much less expensive fuji with some24-26x zoom--no RAW (not needed now), 14.1 mp, couple of comments about quality. What do you like in regards to Lumix and Fuji?

Hope this get out.

Best, Mike
Old May 29, 2011, 9:19 AM   #17

Now I find it all. Time to take the rest of the weekend off, learn to read.

Thanks for the insights on commercial printing. This is a new one for me, like everything it seems. Excellent advice on an important subject. You are right on about approval by government, due diligence. I need to get my head out of the archives, out of the rooms where I have to argue about bulldozing, and order a camera, jump in.

Regards,
Mike
Old May 30, 2011, 3:43 PM   #18

One month from today I will learn if the government-funded senior employment program that has allowed me to do a project for a local government will be gutted by the new federal budget. I have been speeding, obviously, trying to avoid the hangman, but I have to accept that trying to know the unknow makes no sense - not that I haven't tried off and on.

If-when I can print all this great help, I will just go with the flow. I think the Panasonic Fz35 will be ordered tomorrow. It gives me all the options to deal with whatever set of standards I like.

On line prices vary so; figuring you get what you pay for, the lowest prices make me wonder how they can do that, if it a camera and the rest of the stuff in the box is sold in a bundle.

Photo weather.