Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2011, 9:44 AM   #1
cmj

Default P & S for around $200, please help

Hi! I originally was looking for a camera with a max price of $150, but I found a few closer to $200 and I think that is where I want to be. It will be a camera for taking pics of kids, vacations, that kind of stuff. I must say that reading reviews, while helpful, sometimes confuses me more. I want a good zoom and good picture quality, being small is very important.

My 3 top choices are Sony HX5V, Fuji F300 and Casio EX-ZR10. I can't try the HX5V since it's only avail on-line, that's my reason for reading so many reviews. I'm scared to buy it because of all the picture quality talk. However, I must tell you that compared to what I've been using, the pictures will likely beautiful to my eyes. I believe that this camera would be more than what I was expecting to get for the money. I don't know anything about post processing, I guess that will the next thing I will learn. I'm very excited about learning more about photography.

Please tell me, on the HX5V, what ISO settings would be the best if I ever did want a larger print, say a 11X14 or 10X13? That doesn't happen too much, but sometimes I might want a nice pic on the wall. Mainly my pics will be in 4x6 or 5x7 size.

I need to bit the bullet and order a camera, I've wasted so much time researching. I don't know what the Amazon return policy is, I've heard different things. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Are the photos really "dull" in color with this camera? I've heard that from some people. Nobody wants dull photos. I've seen some really nice ones, but I don't know if they've been post processed. Sometimes the "real" colors of a scene are not as vibrant as other cameras show them.

Any advice you can give me would be helpful. I've been really wishy-washy with this decision. I want to buy a camera and start having fun. This will be my first digital camera. Will the HX5V be a good camera for me?
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2

According to Imaging Resource:
"Printed results from the Sony HX5V are good, handling enlargement up to 13x19 inches at the lowest ISO settings, though with some noticeable softness due to overaggressive noise suppression at ISO 125 (the lowest setting). 11x14-inch prints look better at both 125 and 200. ISO 400 also looks good at 11x14, but with a little more softening in low contrast areas. ISO 800 shots are soft but usable at 8x10, and ISO 1,600 shots look good at 5x7 inches. ISO 3,200 produces a quite good 4x6, with good color and decent shadows."

HX5V is a great choice!
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 4:19 PM   #3

You can't change any settings on the HX5V. I would recommend the Canon SX130 in this price range if you can live with the fact that it isn't pocketable.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:35 PM   #4
cmj

I really do need something that I can fit into my pocket. I don't want anything bigger than the size of the HX5V. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:52 PM   #5

My first pick then would be the Panasonic ZS7 as just an overall great P&S pocket cam. I am not as crazy about the latest Panasonic in that product line (the ZS10). If you can live without a good wide angle, then check out the Canon SD4500 (only goes to 36mm). If you can live without shutter/aperture priority modes, check out the Nikon S9100.

I am not personally impressed by any of the Sony or Casio models unless speed is your only concern and image quality is largely unimportant. In the right hands, a Fuji EXR can do very well but they require a lot of fiddling to get the most out of the camera and thus I rarely recommend them.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
cmj

Is it easy to get a good picture with the ZS7? I need something that is fairly easy to use, that's one of the reason the HX5V looked so appealing. I live in MN and we are inside a lot of the year, that was another reason I was leaning towards the HX5V. Thank you.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:46 AM   #7

The auto mode on the ZS7 is very good.

The HX5V is easy to use in the sense that you can't change anything, but the shots are very much hit or miss. Also, if you are looking for an indoor camera, the HX5V is a poor choice for several reasons. First, the tiny sensor in the HX5V (and all of these cameras) will do poorly indoors. Of course, your budget doesn't allow for the larger sensor cameras (e.g. LX5, S95, XZ-1, & TL500) so I suppose that's a moot point. I just wanted you to be aware. Secondly, the AWB (auto white balance) on the HX5V is terrible indoors and none of the presets are even close to accurate either.

I own both the HX5V and the ZS7 and the HX5V has remained parked in a cabinet since shortly after I got it, whereas we continue to enjoy the ZS7. The HX5V is practically new and it makes me sick that I spent $350 on it and have barely used it. If you're really dead set on it, feel free to make an offer. I have the camera and a brand new spare battery as well.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:25 PM   #8
cmj

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression from reviews that the ZS7 takes a lot of adjusting to get good pictures, being a novice and wanting to use mainly auto settings, I thought that would be a lot to learn for a point and shoot. I also thought the pre-sets on the HX5V were suppose to be pretty good. My only worry with the HX5V was the soft pics and dull colors that I have read about. The cheapest that I've found the ZS7 for is around $249. Is it bigger than the HX5V? I thought the HX5V took decent low light pics. I appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2011, 5:11 PM   #9

I think the ZS7's auto mode is very good. My wife thinks so also and I don't think you can get much greener than she is.

The HX5V has very low contrast and very high noise reduction, neither of which can be adjusted. The HX5V has a low-light mode in which it takes six pictures in quick succession and stacks them. Sony did an incredibly good job with this feature, but obviously it has one huge limitation. You can only get a blur-free photo in this mode when shooting still objects. If you really want low light photos (e.g. any indoor shot) you need a bigger sensor and/or brighter lens.

If you don't need the zoom, have a look at the Canon SD4500. Good auto mode, bright lens, and does surprisingly well at high ISO for a P&S camera. It also has better color/white balance than Panasonic or Sony can offer. $229 at Buy.com (sold by One Call who seems to have a good reputation).

Again, if you're really set on the HX5V then go for it, but I highly recommend against it.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:34 PM   #10

I agree with FiveO. I dislike the fact that you don't have much control with the Sony. I had a blast with the ZS7 while I had it, but I returned it because of its poor performance in low light. It's bigger than the HX5V. It will fit in your pocket but is very bulky. I would suggest a camera with a brighter lens and control over aperture and shutter speed if you want to shoot children.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote