Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Need camera for new wife/new mom???

Hey guys, I am looking for a new p&s for my wife. We're about to have a baby and I want her to have a compact camera that she'll carry 24/7 in her pocketbook to capture all those special moments. I am looking for a "jack of all trades" camera that can shoot quality still images and video. It must have a dedicated video button so it can switch straight to video on the fly without having to get into the menu or change settings on a wheel (like her Panny Lumix TZ5). My wife will not be using any of the manual mode features. It will be in one auto setting--and likely stay there. So, I don't care about manual control of shutter speed, aperture etc. I want something that can pretty much take great (relatively speaking) pictures and video out of the box. As far as budget goes, I would like to stay around the $200.00 mark (I might be asking for a lot for this budget???").

I have been doing a bit of homework and, at the moment, I like what I am hearing about the Sony WX9 and Canon Elph 300 HS. I really like the video quality on the Sony--at least based on the samples I saw on YouTube. The Elph also looks pretty great, but it's a $50 more. Is it worth the extra money? Anyway, I am completely opened to suggestions and am not married to any particular brand or mode. Thanks in advance for the help and advise.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2011, 10:28 AM   #2

The Lumix FH5 looks like a sure winner. I'm also very impressed with the Canon SX130is as it has more zoom. You can check them out on steves-digicams dot com for very in depth reviews.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
The Lumix FH5 looks like a sure winner. I'm also very impressed with the Canon SX130is as it has more zoom. You can check them out on steves-digicams dot com for very in depth reviews.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am really looking for something tiny for her--- smaller than the SX130. I checked out some sample video on the FH5 and found it to be a choppy. There's a lot of judder, which is to be expected since it only shoots 720p @ 30fps. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily expect image and video quality to be perfect---just good/above average for the class on both counts. I have a Nikon D80 DSLR and a Canon HG10, both great cameras and camcorders respectively--so I can be a bit picky. However, I have to make compromises I guess because when you're lugging around a diaper bag, car seat, City Mini stroller etc... carrying a camcorder and DSLR isn't going to work--at all. Plus, this camera is for my wife--which means that anything that is going to seem like a burden to her will be left home. What good is an awesome camera if it's sitting in a drawer???? I would rather have a compromised picture than no picture at all!
Old May 23, 2011, 1:00 PM   #4

If small is a priority, I had my hands on a Sony H70 a few days ago and it seemed almost too small for my medium sized hands. It has impressive specs though and might be just perfect for your wife. By the way, video clips at 1080p are choppy on my computer as well, no matter what camera made them. It is a factor of on board memory and video card capability in most cases.

Last edited by Streets; May 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
If small is a priority, I had my hands on a Sony H70 a few days ago and it seemed almost too small for my medium sized hands. It has impressive specs though and might be just perfect for your wife.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:56 PM   #6

I decided that I really did like the Sony H70 and after further reviewing I just finished ordering one as a backup to my Sony A200. Got it from B&H for $199.00, shipped.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:56 PM   #7

Let me know what you think of it after you get it. I think I am leaning towards the Sony DSC-WX9. The sample shots and videos I downloaded looked great and the size is perfect. I have always been reluctant to buy Sony camera--always preferred Canon in compacts.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:51 PM   #8

I ended up buying a Sony HX7V. I posted my initial impressions under the Sony thread.