Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2011, 1:40 PM   #11

In that case, the higher numbers mean larger sensors. However, if you're looking at 1/2.3" vs 1/1.7" the latter is the larger as it's a fraction.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:50 PM   #12

THANK YOU! It may be awhile before I get the "good" camera ($$) but I'm looking at

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Nikon D5100
Sony SLT-A33
Sony SLT-A55

The mirco/mirroless/ILC/EVIL/SLT's just seem to be improving so much so fast that I wonder if I should sell my fz100 now and make the plunge or use it for a year or so while the other's evolve (more lens choices be added on the 4/3 and the price comes down). Do you know if there is anyway for me to know if my 52mm filters (6 or 7 of them) that I bought recently for the fz100 would fit the lenses on any of those?

THanks again for the advice. I just didn't see that it was a fraction and it was throwing me. I've got a lot to learn in my budding hobby ~

BTW I like your signature disclaimer
KiminWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 2:54 PM   #13

aps-c sensors are larger than four thirds.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 3:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminWNC View Post
THANK YOU! It may be awhile before I get the "good" camera ($$) but I'm looking at

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Nikon D5100
Sony SLT-A33
Sony SLT-A55

The mirco/mirroless/ILC/EVIL/SLT's just seem to be improving so much so fast that I wonder if I should sell my fz100 now and make the plunge or use it for a year or so while the other's evolve (more lens choices be added on the 4/3 and the price comes down). Do you know if there is anyway for me to know if my 52mm filters (6 or 7 of them) that I bought recently for the fz100 would fit the lenses on any of those?

THanks again for the advice. I just didn't see that it was a fraction and it was throwing me. I've got a lot to learn in my budding hobby ~

BTW I like your signature disclaimer

All good cams. I've been thinking of picking up one of the Olympus E-PL1/2 cams. The Sony NEX IQ is a little better but in keeping with my sig, I think the Oly cams offer a better overall experience (based on my reading anyway). IQ is certainly a priority, but I'm always willing to give up a little in the interest of design, handling, etc.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:18 PM   #15

I live in a remote area so hands on (unless i want to buy and return -and I don't) is harder for me. I saw a friend at a camera club picnic w. a sony nex 3 and you can read the measurement's but boy when you see it -it really is such a small camera the lens takes up the whole front! I don't think the 3 or 5 has any viewfinder standard and if you attach it you just lost your hot shoe. Could be wrong but I had out-ruled them before on that. I will use the viewfinder to steady (and in sun) but I seldom have a tripod. I loved the pics from my old oly. On the PL oly's I think the viewfinder may be true w. them too. Can't remember. I knew I outruled them both when I picked the GH-1 (and did what I don't like to do and returned it). Like I said you can read the size weight etc but I had it less than a week and started to go for a walk and put it back because w. neck and shoulder problems I didn't want to carry it. After you spend that much on a camera and you'd rather leave it at home in the first week I knew that wasn't the one for me. On my spread sheets I add bits and pieces of reviews from people in addition to the specs - I'll see if I still have it on the ones I looked at before picking the GH1 and the FZ100. I like the size and weight of the 4/3 including the smaller lenses better but that sony a33 and a55 seem really appealing too.
Old May 28, 2011, 8:40 AM   #16

FiveO I looked in my older docs and I didn't have the Nex on there anymore. I did still have 2 pens. You probably already know everything on their but the info toward the bottom was gathered online and from photo mags. You've been very helpful to me so I"m hoping there is a smidgeon of info on there that you find useful.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CMzE7vcP
Old May 28, 2011, 8:16 PM   #17

Thanks, saved to Google docs.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:05 PM   #18

The Samsung HZ30W took awhile to come from Walmart because of the holiday. The colors is pretty good. The size and weight are fine. Feels solid. Took 3 hrs to charge the 1st time. The menu isn't real intuitive coming from other manufactures. The P is separator from the ASM which all share the same dial setting. If in auto or smart auto you have to tell it every time you turn it off and back on that you want the darn flash off. I don't like that. The usb cord is very short which I read about before but it seems absurdly so. For the price it's okay. It's not the fastest to turn on, focus and save especially if you've used dual IS or any of the 'fun' settings. I haven't tried burst/continuous yet, or video, or night shots. Since you have to turn the flash off every time I"m probably going to wish I'd went w. the canon sx230 and just pushed the flash back down every time instead of the flash button and over a few times to the no fire setting. Their was a pretty big difference in price though. $190 vs $350.

Last edited by KiminWNC; Jun 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:12 PM   #19

Samsung does fairly well with colors/WB, though I do find them be a little over-saturated and neon-like. I also agree about the menus. Panasonic and Canon really have the most refined interfaces of all the manufacturers. The build quality on Samsungs seems excellent though. They look and feel very sturdy.

In terms of the HZ30W vs the SX230 .... For what it's worth, I found the flash on the SX230 to be really annoying as well. And the focus on any Canon P&S leaves a lot to be desired. The S95 doesn't raise the flash unless the flash is set to on or auto - so I'm not sure why they couldn't do that with the SX230 also. The IQ on the HZ30W is better than the SX230, due entirely to the fact that the SX230 uses a CMOS sensor and thus has softer images. I still think Panasonic makes the best overall superzoom cams. My main gripe with them is the tendency for color casts and noise at mod to high ISO.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:19 AM   #20

Panasonic lack of self timer options esp. on a travel zoom is as much of a turn off to me as the darn pop up flash. I mean we don't travel that often but when we do it really bugs me - a lot. I just can't see buying a remote shutter to carry around and some small ones they don't even work on. My fz100 does have one but for now I'm done pouring money in to accessories.

I'll play with my samsung a bit till I get to where I'm comfortable grabing it and knowing how to set it the way I want it set. Like this weekend I took pictures of my cats specifically because of a date. I used both cameras. My top 3 came from the samsung.

I did test the fz35 and the fz100. If the fz100 is set on p with +1 contrast and -1 noise reduction I actually had the same # of shots that I liked both, but the fz35 was too slow to react on focus say in birds by the time I kept half pressing the shutter for it to try again the bird would leave. I took some of a mockingbird in flight w. the fz100 at about 40' away that I don't think the samsung could've got.

I still want one of the cameras I mentioned earlier but at least now I have a small p&s for an upcoming vacation to NYC where I dont' want to tote anything that won't go in my pocket AND one that can has more than a 2 or 10 sec timer.