Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2011, 3:31 PM   #1

Default Comparing 5 compacts zs5 zs8 hz30w f500 and ex-zr100

I bought the fz100 but may sell it and go back to something smaller - I know I'd do that if I hadn't already bought a puffer, case, and 5 or 6 filters.

Anyway I'm comparing:
Panasonic's ZS5 $88
Samsung's HZ30W $190
Casio EX-ZR100 $235
Panasonic's ZS8 $265
Fugi Finepix F500 $265

I would've preferred a viewfinder but if it's only going to be 80% FOV then may as well forego it. I wanted pretty good zoom, and PASM control. Self Timer options are also a biggy to me as is the best pq for this type camera. I'm not looking for it to produce large sensor quality but in comparing to each other. I out ruled a few canon's because of the pop up flash popping up each time. I hardly ever use the flash and don't want to shut it every time I turn the camera on plus my canon batter door plastic broke on a carefully handled P&S at 2 years so I' not fond of the build quality there. I had originally taken the zs5 off the list until I saw the price. I know the zs10 is newer but from reading it sounds like the 8 has better PQ. The timer, manual modes and timer are the top 3 things for me. Size and price are close 2nds. I out ruled the f550 because I don't want GPS on the camera and I don't use RAW very much -or won't with this camera.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Kim
KiminWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2

ZS6 isn't on there but if you have the ZS5 on there, the ZS6 should be on there. I think the Panasonic and Samsung easily best the others in photo quality. There isn't a CMOS P&S camera on the market whose IQ can stand up to its CCD counterparts.

btw, you can easily shut off GPS on any camera that has it so if a given camera is otherwise what you want, it doesn't make sense to rule it out other than the GPS unless there is an equal non-GPS model for less money.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:20 AM   #3

I had not planned on putting the zs5 back in the running but when I was checking prices and they didn't have the 8 - they showed me that low price on the 5 and it was too low to not get stuck back in.

I have a samsung smartphone that I bought because of their lcd. It IS nice. In fact if it had a little better camera I wouldn't even get another P&S.

I guess since timers were important too I need to make sure I have more than a 2 or 10 sec delay (so the panasonic's may go on this) and that none of the ones on the list do that annoying pop up flash like the canon sx230 I had in the list and took out on that alone.

I also thought that even if you had GPS off (on some models) it still wrote the data in the file data. I don't want that done on my photos. On the ones I out ruled for GPS it was only adding it and RAW. I'm not sure if you can turn it really off so no location data is written?

I don't use raw much and if I sell my fz100 I'll go to a micro 4/3 that I use for my more serious shots same w. bracketing. I just recently REALLY missed the timer on vacation shots and before I spend the money for more filters and a wireless shutter timer I thought I'd toy w. the idea of selling the few month old camera and going w. cameras on either side of the bridge. A small p&s w. adv features and a micro 4/3 or the sony translucent mirror a55 I think it was. I still don't want the big mirrored heavy SLR's. I hope and I know I'm hoping that a new EVIL will be able to use some of the filters I just bought. I had hoped one camera would do me -that's why I opted for the bridge camera but I find myself still reading the review of all the new ones w. camera envy.

Thank you for your post. I knew cmos was better but the sensor size by measurement is so darn close in those 5 (with the zs5 being the smallest). So I really didn't know how much it played a part with that?

Here's my geeky compare:
Old May 26, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Just eliminated the zs8 and zs5

Last edited by KiminWNC; May 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:13 PM   #5

If a camera phone is nearly satisfactory in terms of image quality, then that makes things a lot easier as your IQ standards are obviously very low. Based on that, just get whichever camera has the feature set you are seeking since they will all offer significantly better quality than even the best camera phone. Something like an iPhone 4 can provide good pics at tiny sizes, but as soon as you enlarge them to even HD monitor resolution, they fall apart and becomes a mottled mess. I'm a little confused though since you initially stated you wanted the best IQ in this class and later talk about EVIL cams, indicating that IQ is important to you.

If the GPS is off, it is off.

CMOS is not at all better in terms of IQ. It is noticeably worse. CMOS sensors are noisier than their equally-sized CCD counterparts and the noise reduction used to reduce that noise negatively affects sharpness. The FZ100 is the perfect example as it's IQ is clearly inferior to the cheaper FZ40 (though it's color is excellent). Now I am not sayng they are bad - just not as good as the CCD cams. However, they are capable of faster burst shooting and full HD video so the trade-off is worth it in some cases. I'm actually looking for a CMOS-based P&S primarily for video and I know I will take a hit on still IQ, but I'm willing to do so as I have my S95 for that.

I'm guessing those rankings you mention came from DPR and I urge you to completely ignore that comparative review. If you had been active on their forum at the time, you would have seen that owners of these cams in no way agreed with the findings of that awful review. DPR even got the features wrong on 1/3 of the cameras. I'm not sure they had any of them for more than an hour. You would be better off comapring individual reviews from PhotographyBlog, Imaging Resource, etc.

Which one you choose from here really depends on your needs. e.g. Casio usually offers the fastest cams. The Samsung will give you the best IQ of the remaining choices (since you ruled out the Panasonics). The Fuji would probably be next in line in terms of IQ, but the EXR cameras are a pain to use and most people don't want to be bothered w/ all the fiddling that EXR camera require when it's supposed to be a P&S cam. Canon's popup flashes are annoying but Canon easily offers the best color reproduction out of all of these brands and I love their timers since they are customizable (e.g. you can set the timer to wait 15 secs and then take 10 shots). I have to agree with you on build quality. Canon's build quality fell off several years ago. I actually just had my S95 sent in for warranty repair after only 8 months of ownership. Still, I continue to buy Canons just b/c I love the image quality and color.
Old May 26, 2011, 5:22 PM   #6

I am going to end up w. 2 cameras because having the 1 bridge camera isn't enough. It's too big for a carry all the time and not advanced enough for a photography hobby. I was only comparing the new p&s to the smartphone -a samsung fascinate. I will admit though that I've not used it for pics yet as I had my fz100 w. me.

Good to know on the GPS.

I want video but it's not high on the list so I don't really care if it's HD or not. In fact my imac can't see the pany's software to work the HD anyway.

I do use burst/continuous. The zoom is important. Self timer too - all in addtion to the IQ. The zs5 was no longer on Walmart for $88 so it went back off the list. The zs8 followed on the limited self timer options. On vacations I'd like to just take the small travel zoom and I'd like to come away that with couple pics instead of single. I guess what I want (like everyone else) is one camera that can do it all and not be huge or heavy but I do realize (esp after trying that w. the fz100) that everyone's needs are different and one camera can't be "all".

I had not heard of both of those sittes -so thank you very much!

On IQ I do have to keep my fz100 on p mode to help the noise reduction and contrast. I thought the bigger the sensor the better the pic.

I've had Canon, Kodak and Olympus and now my 1st Panasonic. I WAS impressed w. Canon's IQ and timer -but the build quality was an issue like I mentioned. My a720is didn't pop up the flash but you had to turn it off everytime (I think just on auto but can't remember). I wasn't happy with the kodak and the Oly was my 1st digital at 2.1 mp but it took great pics! The new Oly's just seem to fall short in specs. I know my choice can't all be decided on specs so I spent today reading cnet, amazon, camera labs reviews. Seems like on everyone of them (and some had no ratings yet) that one person loves it while the next does not. What would be great is for Canon to listen to the reviews and stop that darn pop up last. I kept ( I think) the sx230 on the list for a very long time. I really appreciate your input -esp on the brands I've never owned.

Last edited by KiminWNC; May 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:19 PM   #7

thanks for the sites the Fugi has the same flash issue as the canon. Well at least the 550 that reviewed does. Okay down to 2. I out ruled the Fugi on the flash thing. The Casio hasn't been reviewed as much as the others. Shouldn't there be some grad gift sales coming up?

Last edited by KiminWNC; May 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 8:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminWNC View Post
On IQ I do have to keep my fz100 on p mode to help the noise reduction and contrast. I thought the bigger the sensor the better the pic.
All other things equal, absolutely. When it comes to 1/2.33" vs 1/2.3" though, the difference is negligible. There's a noticeable improvement in IQ going from say any of these cams to an S95, LX5 or XZ-1 - which all have sensors that are about 40% bigger (1/1.7" and 1/1.63" respectively).
Old May 27, 2011, 7:43 AM   #9

if they offered more zoom, I would've looked at them but on travel a 4x just isn't going get it. I'll have to look back and see what zoom and sensor my az720is had. I had highlight clipping but I really liked that camera. I just looked: 6x zoom, sensor 1/2.5" (5.744 x 4.308 mm) only a 115k dot screen and just 1.3 fps. I loved that it took other lenses too. After I finally pick my P&S I get to start looking at my new mirrorless 4/3 Now THAT's exciting!

What is your thought on the Nikon P7000? - never mind too much $$ for the P&S. I'd rather put that toward my better camera.

Last edited by KiminWNC; May 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:15 PM   #10

Ordered the Samsung. Looking at 5 new cameras and I'm confused on the sensor size. The higher the number is a smaller sensor? Are these in order from the largest to smallest or smallest to largest?

Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm)
Four Thirds (18.89 x 14.48 mm)
APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)
APS-C (23.6 x 15.7 mm)