Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Canon S95 vs Canon SX230 HS vs Sony DSC TX100v

As the title says, what would you choose between

S95, SX230 HS and TX100v and why?

if budget is not an issue? Hope someone answers my question. Thanks
blinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2

I would say S95 for overall better image quality and low light shooting, but it lacks the zoom range of the SX230.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 12:32 AM   #3

S95 without a doubt, All of Sony's P&S cams are medicore at best in terms of still images (though the video is usually great). I just spent the last week shooting with the SX230 while my S95 is in the shop and I can't tell you how much I miss my S95. The Panasonic ZS7 absolutely destroys the Canon SX230 in terms of IQ, handling ... everything. Still, I prefer my S95 above them all for it's IQ and low light shooting (comparably speaking).
Old May 26, 2011, 5:08 AM   #4

thanks for the fast reply, is the S95 good for outdoor (like nature tripping, beach etc.) and indoor shots, if shooting in the night does it still deliver the same quality?
blinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 6:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinque View Post
thanks for the fast reply, is the S95 good for outdoor (like nature tripping, beach etc.) and indoor shots, if shooting in the night does it still deliver the same quality?
The S95 does great outdoors in bright light, though just about any decent camera will. The S95 does a little better than most though, in that the AWB works very well and the colors are bright and vibrant. In any case, the S95 is my hiking camera.

Like any P&S, quality degrades as the ISO climbs (and ISO climbs as light dims). The S95 is one of the best P&S cams in its class though (alongside the LX5 and XZ-1, which are not quite pocketable). Here are some random pics I've taken in various settings to give you an idea of its performance. All straight OOC (out-of-camera) aside from being re-sized for this forum.

ISO 800, taken shortly after dusk

ISO 500, Xmas lights in Brooklyn

ISO 80, Macy's Christmas Window Display in NYC

ISO 400, Rockefeller Center

ISO 640, Indoor Photo of one of my many dogs

ISO 80

ISO 640, Indoors at Longwood Gardens

ISO 80

ISO 125

ISO 80