Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Hi my advice as always is set a budget, as this is your first DSLR then a body and kit are a good way to go. Next set a short list and then go to shop and try them. As said before modern DSLR's will take great pictures but they all do things slightly different so its best to see which one suits you.
Once thats done then take lots of pictures it takes practise to get the best from a DSLR. Good Luck
my list is nikon d5100 or d7000.
and canon eos 1100 or 550

any other recommendations are welcome
martin_paes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:54 AM   #12

Looking at the camera you have put down then concider the t3i/600d and the 60d they are all in your price range
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:27 AM   #13

The d7000 and d5100 has the same image quality they use the same sony sensor. The difference are features they have. And that is something you really need to decide if you need form the d7000.

D7000
better build.
better AF system
better frames per second for 2.5 seconds it will shoot at 6fps vs 4
micro adjustment
can use all nikon lenses without motors form nikon and 3rd parties

D5100
swivel lcd
cost less.

The canon 550D you will get better HD then the nikons
Better AF then the d5100
Higher res swiel lcd then the d5100
and can use all lenses made for canon eos cameras.

With all of the camera, iso above 6400 is pretty usless. They put in 12800-25600 but they do not preform well up there at all. It is more marketing then a good feature.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 2, 2011 at 6:31 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The d7000 and d5100 has the same image quality they use the same sony sensor. The difference are features they have. And that is something you really need to decide if you need form the d7000.

D7000
better build.
better AF system
better frames per second for 2.5 seconds it will shoot at 6fps vs 4
micro adjustment
can use all nikon lenses without motors form nikon and 3rd parties

D5100
swivel lcd
cost less.

The canon 550D you will get better HD then the nikons
Better AF then the d5100
Higher res swiel lcd then the d5100
and can use all lenses made for canon eos cameras.

With all of the camera, iso above 6400 is pretty usless. They put in 12800-25600 but they do not preform well up there at all. It is more marketing then a good feature.

thank u for the explanation ......so u say canon 55o is better than nikon d5100 and 7000.

what about the lens ?which one should i take for good zoom?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:15 AM   #15

it is better the the d5100, but not the d7000. The d7000 is a higher end camera. The 550d only out does the d7000 in HD video.

The canon that is at the same level is the 60D.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:27 AM   #16

so the final verdict is either nikon d5100 or canon 550.

and what about the lens and flash . hope to get some info on that too
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:30 AM   #17

The canon has a little bit less expensive lens options form entry grade to mid grade. Both systems have high end pro lenses that are excellent.

Flash, the nikon has a better flash system, the nikon ittl system is consider to be the best flash system in the dslr market. Follow by canon which is pretty good. But the flash units themselves, are both well made by nikon or canon. And 3rd party flash that has dedicated versions to each brand are very good also. Metz and nissin have excellent dedicated models for nikon and canon. If you went to the canon 600d you get wireless flash ability if you get an external flash where you can get creative with flash deployment, something that will require the d7000 with the nikon. And the 600D has a very nice lcd that is a bit higher res then the nikon.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The canon has a little bit less expensive lens options form entry grade to mid grade. Both systems have high end pro lenses that are excellent.

Flash, the nikon has a better flash system, the nikon ittl system is consider to be the best flash system in the dslr market. Follow by canon which is pretty good. But the flash units themselves, are both well made by nikon or canon. And 3rd party flash that has dedicated versions to each brand are very good also. Metz and nissin have excellent dedicated models for nikon and canon. If you went to the canon 600d you get wireless flash ability if you get an external flash where you can get creative with flash deployment, something that will require the d7000 with the nikon. And the 600D has a very nice lcd that is a bit higher res then the nikon.
again thanks a million for ur reply.
so i think i must right now stck to the inbuilt flash only and wat about the lens??which is is medium budget .having good pic quality and specially good ZOOM ...how much max zoom can be got on a lens?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:16 AM   #19

you can get allot of zoom, but that gets very expensive. the sigma 50-500 is a ton of zoom but up in the 1000's of dollar range and super heavy.

For the canon if you want a 7x zoom, the canon 18-135 is a okay lens, it is a consumer grade lens. If you want a longer zoom the tamron 18-270 VC PZ one of the better ones, it is about 550-600 dollars. The none pz model is a good one also about 450 dollars. They have the tamron for the nikon as well.

The other option instead of one lens with allot of zoom is 2 lenses, it will give you better image quality then a 1 lens setup. But you will be switching lenses and carrying more stuff. So there is a give and take.

A good setup for the 550d or 600d with 2 lenses, if you do not shoot actiion to much would be the kit lens ef-s 18-55 and the ef-s 55-250. If you want a higher grade zoom, the canon ef 70-300 or the tamron 70-300 VC USD.

The nikon option for the d5100 would be for a 6x zoom the af-s 18-105 or more reach the tamron I mention for the canon as they have a nikon version. A 2 lens option the kit lens af-18-55 and the the af 50-200. On the higher end the nikon af-s 70-300.

Personally I have a multi lens solution, but also have a megazoom option in my camera kits as well, because sometime I need to pack super light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:32 AM   #20

just 1 more stupid question . u say
For the canon if you want a 7x zoom, the canon
so does that mean that the panasonic fz 35 with 18x zoom is more?
as im using that cam.
im finding a bit diifcluty understanding thing .may take time ..
do u have any links where i can understand in simple about dslrs??