Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2011, 8:01 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS 550D, 600D or Nikon D5100

I want to buy my first DSLR but have a hard time choosing one. I want to use it for my school, school concert (which is not that bright) and for my holidays. Can anyone please give some advise on these camera Canon EOS 550D, 600D or Nikon D5100. For the lens I was thinking Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (Piezo Drive). Feel free to give comments or recommend a lens. Is it better to use a third party flash? Please recommend a flash. Which brand have more choice of accessories to choose and cheaper. Thank you.

anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2011, 6:12 PM   #2

They are three good cameras however the lens you specify won't be much use at indoor school concerts as it quite dim, especially at the long end. Suitable lenses for indoor concerts get quite expensive so what is your budget?

Manufacturers flash is always the best for compatibility.

Both Canon and Nikon have the best OEM and third party choice of accessories and would be about equal.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:49 AM   #3

My budget is around $1200.00
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:45 AM   #4

Hi I would look at the t2i/550d its good in low light and the savings can go towards a lens
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5

The canon has the better HD system, and the better AF system then the nikon.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:04 AM   #6

For decent indoor work you need lenses that open to f/2.8 or faster such as f/2, f/1.8 or f/1.4. http://www.nikon.ca/en/Lens.aspx# For the most part these fast lenses would be beyond your budget as described except for the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G and the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. You would have to be very close to or even on the stage to get good compositions with these lenses.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:11 AM   #7

with the canon you can look at the ef 50 1.8, ef 28 2.8, ef 35 f2, they are not to expensive like the ef 2.8 1.8, ef 50 1.4. Good for indoor shooting without a flash. But a good external flash with some reading up on flash uses will yield better results vs a high iso and big aperture setup.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8

normally I would agree with shoturtle regarding flash. But for school concerts and such, flash is usually frowned upon. So you're forced more into an available light situation. Fortunately, people aren't moving around very fast. A 70-200 2.8 type of lens is ideal for that. The sigma 50-150 is a less expensive option. Such a lens will give you a lot more flexibility than using a prime lens. And, since subjects aren't moving rapidly, shooting at 1/200 or so isn't an issue. But you still will be using ISO 1600-3200
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:40 PM   #9

Thanks guys.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:46 PM   #10

I took some photos of my daughter's dance rehearsal today, and I think the stage lighting was pretty standard. I cranked my XSi up to ISO 1600 and used a monopod to get some decent, at least snapshot, quality photos. I used the kit 18-55 lens, by the way. A t2i and a decently fast lens woulda been a real help.

The guy next to me was sporting an expensive looking dslr, and was using it like a point-n-shoot, running flash and cussing because he couldn't get the shots to come out right. He was also blinding me in the left eye, and distracting the poor girls on stage... if not blinding them, too.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote