Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2011, 2:32 PM   #1

Default T3i or 60d

Hello
I currently have a Canon XT and I am looking for an upgrade. I am going between the 60d and T3i. I have enough funds for a 60d with the stock lens or the T3i with the stock lens and a 55-250mm lens.

I mostly do portraits and some wildlife. I like that the T3i is lighter than the 60d but I am worried that I might be missing some of the 60d additional features if there are any.

Thoughts?
Thanks Warren83
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2011, 3:11 PM   #2

If the wildlife includes moving wildlife, the 60D and save for a good long zoom lens from canon the 70-300 USM motor, or the tamron 70-300 with the USD motor.

If wildlife with some movement the T3 will do a decent job. The T3i with the 55-250 is a good general photography lens. And the 2 lenses you mention covers allot of general photography needs.

Picture quality are pretty much identical between the 2 camera. Need better af for action 60D. The t3i will cover more with the 2 lens setup then the 60D with one lens.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks shoturtle

I might be doing some fast moving photography but this will not be the main focus. I am heading towards the T3i.

Now to look for the best deal out there

Thanks
Warren83
Old May 30, 2011, 9:50 AM   #4

Hi I would go with the T3i and look at using the savings for a good lens
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:55 PM   #5

Going with the T3i and the 55-250 lens.

Now, anyone have a good bag recommendation?
Thanks
Warren83
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:06 PM   #6

bags are very personal, some like shoulder bags, others like sling bags, and other likes backpack.

I have many different bags and use them depending on what I am doing. When I travel with my 60D and allot of lenses, I take my tamrac Aero 85 backpack. When I am just walking around with my dslr or epl-1 with the super zoom lens. I take my sling bag, a tamrac velocity 6. When and am walking with just 2 or 3 lenses, I take my crumpler 6 million dollar home.

And I have couple of other bags that serves different purpose.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7

I did it !! Finally purchased the T3i/w kit lens and 55-250 with all the lens hoods, UV filters.
Eventually will be looking for a flash unit.
Any recommendations?
Just to let you know the T3i is $867.00 at amazon with free one day shipping.

Thanks Warren
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren83 View Post
Going with the T3i and the 55-250 lens.

Now, anyone have a good bag recommendation?
Thanks
Warren83
I have two bags, the Thinktank Airport Antidote v 2.0 that I use for travel. (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...-backpack.aspx) This bag accomodates a large laptop & a lot of gear & the laptop case is removeable for use by itself.

I also carry a Lowepro Flipside 300 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/...00,2083,14.htm)
This bag will accomodate a pro camra body w/ long lens attached (70-200 w/ teleconverter or Sigma 120-300) & another lens or two, depending which telephoto I use along with my Nissin Di866 flash & various other small items. It also unzips from the shoulder strap side, which can be a plus or a minus, depending on your goals. It takes a little longer to get your camera out of the pack, but it also prevents thieves from lifting your gear. My trip to Moscow & St. Petersburg a few years ago convinced me that I needed this protection. Every time I got on the underground, I had pickpockets attempting to get stuff out of my backpack. When you complain to the police on duty, they just walk away. I discovered later that they are usually in league with the pick pockets. If I hadn't been traveling with some relatives, it would have been tough to keep them from stealing my gear. They have two or three bump you/surround you in front while the 4th does the stealing. I usually take both bags when traveling for long trips or long distances. I simply put the lowepro in my suitcase filled with clothes so I can utilize the space & then use the Thinktank on the airplane. The thinktank works well for me because I'm usually travelling on business and I can carry both my laptop & photo gear on the plane with one carryon. I use the lowepro for walking around my destination.

As shoturtle pointed out, bags are very personal for very specific needs. The great thing is that there are SO many great choices out there.

Cheer,
Jerry

Last edited by jdnan; Jun 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:33 PM   #9

Thanks Jerry

Should be fun learning the T3i

Warren
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:15 PM   #10

I would try not to use the UV filter they are not really needed and they degrade image quality a bit.

There are couple of flash options. If you are looking for a good mid grade flash in the 200 dollar range, the nissin di622 mkII, metz 50 AF-1 and of course the canon 430 exII. They are the best options out there.