Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2011, 2:49 PM   #1

Default canon sx220hs or olympus sz-30

which do you think would be best for indoor restaurant family pics?
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2011, 2:56 PM   #2

Canon S95 or Olympus XZ-1. The larger sensor and brighter lens will allow you to shoot at lower ISO levels indoors.
Old May 29, 2011, 3:02 PM   #3

not a fan of either b/c i want some zoom.... so out of the 2 which one would be better...
Old May 29, 2011, 6:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
not a fan of either b/c i want some zoom.... so out of the 2 which one would be better...
Well, you always have to choose between low light and zoom. You can't have both. Honestly, it doesn't really matter which you choose. Both will perform very poorly in low light so pick whichever one has a feature set and sample images that are more appealing to you.
Old May 29, 2011, 7:07 PM   #5

i totally understand what your trying to say, I'm trying to merge in the middle a bit. Get a bit of zoom and yet have decent lower lighting pics... I don't need mega zoom but more then 5 times would be nice. so if i can choose a mid range zoom camera with still pretty good pics, i know not the best but still good then i'll be happy. I also don't want to spend more then 300 350 MAX! and i want it pocketable!
Old May 29, 2011, 7:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
i totally understand what your trying to say, I'm trying to merge in the middle a bit. Get a bit of zoom and yet have decent lower lighting pics... I don't need mega zoom but more then 5 times would be nice. so if i can choose a mid range zoom camera with still pretty good pics, i know not the best but still good then i'll be happy. I also don't want to spend more then 300 350 MAX! and i want it pocketable!
There is no middle ground because low light ability comes from 2 things: sensor size and lens brightness. When you put a long zoom into a pocketable camera you lose both of these things. If you take the long zoom, you are giving up low light. It's just that simple. If you really twisted my arm, I would say that, for my tastes, Canon handles noise better than any other company. They use a very subtle noise reduction algorithm in comparison to other manufacturers. Olympus tends to be a little more heavy-handed with their noise reduction. However, this is a largely subjective matter. The bottom line is still that both will do poorly. There is no magic way around the physics of light gathering. Thus it comes down to simply which camera's processing you prefer.

A BSI sensor may very slightly increase sensitivity, but it also introduces noise into your images. Image stacking (such as Sony uses for their HHT mode) does well with still life, but for obvious reasons, it doesn't help with shooting people or anything else that moves (because the stacked images won't line up). Pixel binning can also increase sensitivity and thus brighten your low light images, but the resulting 2-3MP image will be severely lacking in detail and not useful for much more than sharing via Facebook.
Old May 29, 2011, 7:58 PM   #7

ok, so i took a look at a bunch of cameras that have bigger sensors. Most of them are out of my price range, 400 and up. the only one that was in my budget was the nikon P300 on sale for 349. what are your thoughts on that? I was just hoping to get a camera that would be versatile b/c i will use it lots for indoor shots but when i'm not taking my pentax k-x with me i wanted good pics with zoom for trips of landscaping, etc... I sure wish the s95 was cheaper but it's 449 here otherwise they are all much too expensive...
Old May 29, 2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Although the P300 has a smaller sensor, it has a F1.8 lens which will give you considerable improvement in low light over the typical F2.8-3.4 lenses that you typically find on cameras in this class.