Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2011, 3:59 PM   #1

Default Digital camera for videos

I'm looking for a new digicam and I'm going to use it mostly for videos. At least 1080p at 30 fps and high-speed at 240 fps. I've posted links to the specs and demonstration videos of all cameras (remember to switch to the highest resolution on Youtube).

These are the cameras I've found that seem interesting (in order of pricing):

Casio ZR100 - 1080p at 30 fps, 1000 (!) fps in high-speed (but at a very low resolution)
Casio ZR100 Specs

Canon Powershot SX230 HS (2650) - 240 fps high-speed, 1080p at 24 fps.
Canon SX230 HS Specs
YouTube - ‪Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Optical and Digital Zoom Test 4‬‏

Panasonic DMC-TZ20 - 1080p at 30fps, 220 fps high-speed.
Panasonic DMC-TZ20 Specs
YouTube - ‪Panasonic DMC-TZ20 test video 1920x1080‬‏

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V - Much higher resolution (1440x1080 30 fps, and 1080p 60 fps) but no high-speed.
Sony DSC-HX9v Specs
YouTube - ‪SONY DSC-HX9V ????????????????????????????‬‏

The Sony Cybershot is about as expensive as I'm willing to go. I don't care much for the prices however, as long as I get as much quality as possible below the price range of the Cybershot. But I'd really like high-speed because I'm planning on doing music videos and stuff so slow-motion is a very useful feature for me. The Nikon S9100 is also an option, but I've heard it's supposed to be bad.

So, the reason why I'm asking this here is because I know the specs aren't everything. The amount of megapixels doesn't always mean that much in practice. So, which one of these really has the best quality lens etc? Which is the best brand in general? Any other cameras I should take into consideration?

Thanks a lot in advance!
SwedishBerzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2011, 4:14 PM   #2

Nikon P&S cams always get chastised for their video quality. The Canon SX230 only does 24fps so your own requirements should rule that out. In my experience, within the P&S class, Sony usually offers the best video followed by Panasonic. As a cheap alternative, check out the HX5V. The video on it is excellent, which I say in spite of the fact that I don't like Sony P&S cams at all.

Keep in mind that with any of these pinhead-sensor cams, you are going to need to shoot outdoors in bright sunlight or the video quality will suffer considerably.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Nikon P&S cams always get chastised for their video quality. The Canon SX230 only does 24fps so your own requirements should rule that out. In my experience, within the P&S class, Sony usually offers the best video followed by Panasonic. As a cheap alternative, check out the HX5V. The video on it is excellent, which I say in spite of the fact that I don't like Sony P&S cams at all.

Keep in mind that with any of these pinhead-sensor cams, you are going to need to shoot outdoors in bright sunlight or the video quality will suffer considerably.
Thanks for the reply! Sony doesn't seem to make any high-speed cameras of this kind at all.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 seems pretty interesting as well.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I can find some demo videos in darker rooms. Is there anything in the specifications list that could point towards how it handles darkness? I'm a total beginner at cameras, but does ISO affect the video feature as well?

Last edited by SwedishBerzerker; May 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:14 PM   #4

If you have the budget buy a used canon 5d mark ii! You won't regret it!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBerzerker View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I can find some demo videos in darker rooms. Is there anything in the specifications list that could point towards how it handles darkness? I'm a total beginner at cameras, but does ISO affect the video feature as well?
The lens brightness and sensor size are the two primary factors in terms of low light, along with the resultant size of the photosites. Just some really basic guidelines ...

• The lower the F number, the brighter the lens. e.g. F2.0 is better than F3.4
  • Note that P&S sensor size are in fractions. Thus, 1/1.7" is bigger than 1/2.3".
  • Larger photosites are better. For two cameras with a 1/2.3" sensor, the one with the lower MP will have larger photosites.
ISO does also affect video. The smaller the sensor, the dimmer the lens, and the smaller the photsites, the higher the ISO needed to get the same image. As the ISO increase, detail and noise increase.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:44 PM   #6

Well yes, the Canon 500D Mark II is a little bit too expensive

Quote:
The lens brightness and sensor size are the two primary factors in terms of low light, along with the resultant size of the photosites. Just some really basic guidelines ...

• The lower the F number, the brighter the lens. e.g. F2.0 is better than F3.4
  • Note that P&S sensor size are in fractions. Thus, 1/1.7" is bigger than 1/2.3".
  • Larger photosites are better. For two cameras with a 1/2.3" sensor, the one with the lower MP will have larger photosites.
ISO does also affect video. The smaller the sensor, the dimmer the lens, and the smaller the photsites, the higher the ISO needed to get the same image. As the ISO increase, detail and noise increase.
Ok, thanks for the explanation!

Now, I've managed to narrow it down to these two: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 and Fujifilm Finepix HS10:

http://snapsort.com/...jifilm_FinePi...MC-FZ100/specs

In terms of handling darkness, the Fujifilm seems better because of its larger pixels, correct? However, the Panasonic has a higher native resolution.

A few videos from both cameras, day and night, close-up and distant (don't forget to change to 1080p on Youtube):

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100:
Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5CJTZRaJek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yZTCc0SL8
Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vydKHh5AuU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mStBAiL25lg
Fujifilm Finepix HS10:
Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tzfbhn6B0 (close-up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DahsKfK6_Eo
Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DNwUB2RLRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fBVik7LIhQ

So which one is the best for videos?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:28 AM   #7

I was just about to start a separate thread on this very topic but thankfully spotted this one before submitting (strange that this exact topic would already be here).

Between the Sony DSC-HX9V, the Panasonic DMC-ZS10/DMC-TZ20, and the Canon SX230 HS, which one offers the best low light video quality, best daylight video quality, best video autofocus, etc.

I'm hoping to do my own comparison at some point (when I can get my hands on all of them), but I'm hoping someone can compare two or more of these and give an objective opinion on video quality/resolution and autofocus, including a low light comparison.

I have a pretty good idea about the picture quality of the three, but not the video quality.

Thanks
deluxe washer dryer set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:00 AM   #8

The HX9V has the best video of the bunch (imho of course). The SX230 is a little outclassed considering it only does 24p. Panasonic has the best AF, Sony in 2nd, and Canon in a pretty distant 3rd. Of course, the Canon has the most accurate (and pleasing) colors and best AWB (auto white balance).

As stated above, all 3 will do poorly in low light so there's really not much point comparing them. They all have similarly designed sensors and lenses, none of which are conducive to low light performance. That said, Panasonic's sensors tend to be a little noisier than Sony's (and Sony sensors are often used in Canon cams btw). The SX230 also does unusually well with high ISO camera of this type. In all 3 cases though, your video will become noisy/grainy in low light situations. Cams like this were simply not designed for low light, regardless of the story the manufacturers try to sell in their adverts.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:40 AM   #9

Quote:
The HX9V has the best video of the bunch (imho of course). The SX230 is a little outclassed considering it only does 24p. Panasonic has the best AF, Sony in 2nd, and Canon in a pretty distant 3rd. Of course, the Canon has the most accurate (and pleasing) colors and best AWB (auto white balance).

As stated above, all 3 will do poorly in low light so there's really not much point comparing them. They all have similarly designed sensors and lenses, none of which are conducive to low light performance. That said, Panasonic's sensors tend to be a little noisier than Sony's (and Sony sensors are often used in Canon cams btw). The SX230 also does unusually well with high ISO camera of this type. In all 3 cases though, your video will become noisy/grainy in low light situations. Cams like this were simply not designed for low light, regardless of the story the manufacturers try to sell in their adverts.
What do you think about those in my last post then?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBerzerker View Post
What do you think about those in my last post then?
The Fuji will probably do slightly better in low light, particularly in the EXR mode. However, the Fuji also has a manual zoom lens, which means it would be difficult to zoom in video and keep the camera from shaking. Also, the FZ100 is possibly the only P&S to date that can truly replace a dedicated camcorder. As a bonus, the FZ100 has really outstanding colors. Usually Panasonic cams have some trouble with obvious color casts (e.g. greenish sky) and noticeable color shifts (e.g. red looks orange), but for some reason the FZ100 avoids these issues. So even though the Fuji will do a little better in low light, it will still do poorly - but in daylight, the FZ100 will be really outstanding.