Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2011, 7:03 PM   #1

Default On-line buying thoughts

Hi everyone. After a very long thread and steep learning curve I decided to purchase a Panasonic Fz35. As I looked for vendors, I noticed there was one group of the higher prices for Fz35. A few low-ball vendors, $50+ lower price, all refer to the camera as Fz35K.

Does the K mean anything, is it somehow a different camera than just Fz35?

There are some nightmares out there--sites where they say they will call you to discuss filling out your needs, the insurance you have to have...

The old Nikon L120 at Walmart is looking better and better.

What can you tell me about this and thanks for taking the time to do it.

Mike
mgeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2011, 7:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeca View Post
Does the K mean anything, is it somehow a different camera than just Fz35?
"K" means the body is black.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 7:41 PM   #3

I can't believe how much the FZ35 has gone up in the last few months. Anyway, looking at Amazon, I wouldn't buy from anyone accept the "Fulfilled by Amazon" sellers.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:17 PM   #4

Before you do anything, check the retailer at http://www.resellerratings.com/
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 10:35 PM   #5

I feel foolish about the K, but the place where I wanted to buy the camera has horrible, horrible reviews, real bait and switch, etc.

TCav, that link is saved and will save me and I thank you very much.

FiveO--I thought the Fz35 was no longer made and I should find good prices--seems not. The "information" floating around deserves close scrutiny to avoid a newbie mistake.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:48 PM   #6

Hi Mike,

The FZ35 has been discontinued, however as the remaining inventory has decreased, the price has risen. That's not uncommon when a camera is popular and in demand even after being replaced by a newer model (FZ40 in this case).

The FZ35 is a great camera. I bought mine a little over a year ago and have enjoyed using it ever since. I wouldn't hesitate buying it again.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:26 PM   #7

So I have discovered Laurie. First thought is that price should drop, like end of year auto, but your thoughts corrected me. Been too long since an economics course. I just missed a great price on the Fz35, went up yesterday by $50--day late, dollar short. Looks like for another 10 bucks right now I can get the Fz40, which seems somehow more than I need. I'll keep shopping. The one good price (so far) on the Fz35 is offered by a seller who doesn't fare well in the seller ratings. I do have a fallback that I think will do me well, at about $100 less.

BTW, do you have any flash issues--weak, slow? I read that about the 35? Thanks for joining in. Mike
Old May 31, 2011, 3:51 PM   #8

Most of my pics are outdoors so I can't tell you much about the flash. Check over on the Panasonic Point and Shoot forum here. It's pretty active and I'm sure someone could answer questions you have.

Good luck with your camea search and your project!

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 4:11 PM   #9

I had both the FZ40 and FZ35 and returned the FZ35. Although the images were very slightly better and the FZ35 was smaller, the FZ40 has a longer reach, better color and imho, better ergonomics and design. Just food for thought since you will have an easier time finding an FZ40.