Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:53 PM   #1

Default Digital camera that looks like an analog camera

My 10-year-old daughter is going off to summer camp this week and they don't allow digital cameras. Actually, no electronics at all. So I want to find a digital camera that looks like an old-fashioned camera. As cheapie looking as possible. The guts though should be a decent "Powershot"-like camera.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!
george5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Why not just get her an analog camera to take with and a few rolls of film?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Why not just get her an analog camera to take with and a few rolls of film?
At 10-years-old, all she knows are digital cameras. She would go through a few rolls of film in a day with an analog camera. Plus, I would have to teach her how to change the film and to actually save it. That would bring up a gazillion questions: what is film, how does it work, what is film processing. Much easier for me if I can get a digital camera under $100 or so that looks like an old-fashioned analog camera, put a 4-8GB sd card in it. From her point of view, it's a regular camera.

Last edited by george5558; Jun 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:02 PM   #4

Or, some of the simple 35mm cameras were getting pretty good by the time digital started taking over. Really nice cameras are going for next to nothing now, and would be quite educational for her... letting her know what it was like in the before-time, when we had to send off our film and wait for the results.
Depending on her sense of curiosity (and sense of humor), maybe you could even supply her with some black and white film, and have her develop it herself. (yeah... maybe that's a little much, in this day and age).
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:38 AM   #5

just a quick one why no digital cameras
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I don't get it. You are sending a 10-year-old girl in as a covert operative?

Presumably the summer camp staff actually know what a digital camera looks like and will be able to spot her using one. (Yes even if it looks a bit like an analog camera.) I think if you do send her in with a digital camera, of whatever sort, she'll probably realise that there would be no opportunity to use it without being caught. Depending on the camp that may or may not get her into trouble.

How about getting her a Diana and a bunch of film? It's really not hard to learn how to load and shoot one. And 10 is plenty old enough to learn with very little effort. Dianas only have 2 apertures and one shutter speed. Add a bunch of rolls of cheap color neg film and you will easily come in under budget and she'll have a blast.

Alternatively a bunch of the single-use plastic cameras pre-loaded with film would also work and not be very much more expensive than a Diana. But less fun.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:54 AM   #7

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Retro-Vi...-/190527382778

Unfortunately, I wouldn't call this camera decent. The only other retro-styled cameras I could find were $600+ though.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
just a quick one why no digital cameras
It is indeed a curious thing. This is a girls camp, very old-fashioned. No electronics whatsoever. I'm guessing that they placed that blanket rule when ipods first started coming out. Shoot, could've been when Sony Walkmans came out. The camp was founded in 1927. I think that I'm going to have to give up on this idea, unless I take some power tools, and hack a PowerShot into an old brownie.

The camp also makes some money by having an official camp photographer walking around. Every night, they upload the pictures so that us parents can look through 500-600 pictures for our kids off having fun at camp. Of course, they make money when we buy the high-res image.

Kids at camp do not keep up with their stuff very well. Last night, we spent hours labeling everything that goes into her camp trunk.

I need the simplest of solutions. So I think that I'll just have to go with a 6-pack of disposable cameras. I do like the "covert operative" idea though!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:48 AM   #9

disposable cameras could be good. after all, she won't have a way to charge her batteries with a digicam, and besides, she may be humiliated if they catch her with the camera and take it away.

i would guess the reason they don't allow electronics is that kids break things, lose things or even have things stolen, and that can lead to a lot of drama. even if your 10 year old is very careful, the other kids won't be. this way, the camp can't be held responsible or have to argue with parents about who's responsible for breakage or theft.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:15 AM   #10

You could hide in the woods and snap pics of the little girls yourself. "One time at band camp, Daddy got arrested." :x
Seriously though, the disposables are probably the best idea. She would almost inevitably be caught with the digi.