Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Struggling on what camera to buy...

I need to retire my fugi s602 finepix camera. I am NOT a professional, however I am advanced on taking photos without using the auto mode.. I like a zoom, I know nothing about lens', so I was thinking on a camera with a zoom installed.. I want a camera that takes 'Great' crisp pictures... I am an outdoors person, who stumbles apon deer, turkey, etc. can't always get close to wild animals...My son plays baseball and I like to take shots of him... Please any suggestions will be greatful... Was looking at...
*Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens....
*Canon PowerShot SX30 IS super-zoom....
*Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Thanks so much!
denified is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:34 PM   #2

Your list is one fixed lens camera and two dSLR cameras. The two dSLR cameras only have the basic "kit" lens included, which only goes to 55 mm. You want to take pictures of wildlife and a son who plays baseball - both of which require a long telephoto lens, something much longer than 55 mm (while anyone I know who shoots wildlife always wants something longer than what they own, with a dSLR you'd most likely want something that reaches 300 mm). I would either add a long telephoto zoom lens to your camera list, or remove the two dSLR cameras (the Nikon D3100 and Canon T1i).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:12 PM   #3

G'day denified

Welcome to the Forum
You say that your current camera is the Fuji S602 .... a good camera in its day
Looking up its specs, it has a 6x zoom lens going from 35mm to 210mm [in 35mm film camera equivalent terms]

You also say, quote-
I like a zoom,
I know nothing about lens', so I was thinking on a camera with a zoom installed..
I want a camera that takes 'Great' crisp pictures...
I am an outdoors person, who stumbles apon deer, turkey, etc. can't always get close to wild animals...
My son plays baseball and I like to take shots of him...
endquote

For "superb" quality results, you could look at an SLR of some sort, however the camera with a 18-125mm lens and a good 'long' [say, 150mm to 500mm] zoom lenses will cost you over $2000

For "quite okay home quality" results, you could look at any of the current batch of fixed-lens cameras built the same way as your current Fuji 602. These would cost you from $250 to $600

The current batch of Fuji cameras include models such as-
Fuji S4000 - lens is a 24mm to 720mm [35mm film camera equivalent] at $250
Fuji S3200 - lens is a 24mm to 500mm [as above] at $220
Fuji HS20 - lens is a 24mm to 720mm at about $450

or from other companies
Canon SX130 - lens is a 28mm to 330mm $??
Canon SX30 - lens is a 24mm to 800mm at $450 or so
Panasonic FZ100 & the FZ40 - lens is a 24mm to 600mm at $375 - $400
and the list goes on

There are many people here who use all of the above cameras / camera systems, and who will advise you to get the same as them [human nature being what it is], however I would suggest that you pop down to your local camera store and look at, and handle several SLR cameras as well as several of the current superzoom cameras and see what feels 'right' to your fingers and eyeball the viewfinder

Hope this has been helpful
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Wow, thanks so much for the help... I was truly getting frustrated on what to get... The more I read reviews, the more I felt lost... I am going to start out at best buy and do some 'hands on' feel, for my camera... then go from there with the associates help... Thanks Phil and mtngal... I'll let you know how I made out.... I'm
very grateful for your help and suggestions!
Happy, Lori!
denified is offline   Reply With Quote