Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Help with my decision - Picking a camera out to shoot digital video

I work with a couple guys filming trainning videos for the company we work for. We need to get a new camera to shoot these videos. There are a ton of people watching them online and overall we want to improve our quality specifically with audio but all together we want an upgrade to a more broadcast quality production.

We have been using a a pretty low end camcorder up to this point.
So I started looking at the Sony HVR-A1U - it has great audio quality, phantom power, XLR connects... Looks like a great camera especially for a well light studio environment which is what we have setup. My boss thinks we need to go with the Panasonic GH1 combo cam. Which as far as I can tell is more of a still camera then a video camera however it does shoot true 1080P (it appears to need additional software to properly convert this video into something editable to be compiled into a sequence as well) - but I am not really sold on it's audio capture ability or that it is really what we need in a well lit studio environment.

This is probably an off the wall question concerning these two models as they are both older units. But I would really benefit from a few people making a solid argument in either direction.

Which one should I buy to accomplish my task.

-Brandon Davis
stackinchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:14 PM   #2

These 2 cams are really at 2 different levels. The Sony is obviously more suited to the job, but the GH1 has the advantage of being tapeless. The GH1's video is quite good, as is usually the case w/ Panasonic cams, but you would definitely want to get an external mic for audio. Adobe, Sony, etc. all support AVCHD editing with no need to convert.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:41 PM   #3

Well I am using a Black Magic Design Capture Card (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/) to avoid tape of any kind. I want to record direct to hard drive. Complaints on my videos thus far have more to do with Audio Quality - I have read in a couple reviews that the Panasonic cam has some issues with Audio. That is why I am unsure as to trust the Panasonic direction. I am in an extremely well lit environment and white balance is also important, if that helps any... Thanks for any more comments you have.
stackinchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:07 PM   #4

White balance won't be an issue as you should be using manual white balance in this type of situation anyway. I wouldn't recommend using onboard mics on any camera or consumer/prosumer camcorder. Connecting an external mic is definitely the way to go. The mic on that Sony, on the other hand, may be just fine. The GH1 does allow you to connect an external mic though and even with the combined cost of the camera plus the mic, you will come in cheaper than that Sony cam.