Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:17 PM   #11

Boy, you sure don't want a lot do you!

First off, I really don't think you're going to get any one camera to do everything you're asking for at the budget you've set for yourself.

So, the decision you have to make is: what is really important to you; Good 1080Hd movies or a camera that can capture a surfer in action.

As far as cameras go, to get the results you say you're looking for can best be met with a dslr. As others have mentioned a used dslr can meet this need quite adequately.

One camera that I would look at is the Canon 20D. Yes, it's an older camera BUT, it's capabilities can certainly meet your needs. It is an 8.2 MP camera, can fire in burst mode at 5frames/sec. But, more importantly, has been tested to be able to fire 25 frames in burst mode(at 5 frames/sec) before the buffer maxes out.

You should be able to pick up a used 20D somewhere between 250 and 300dollarsUSD. It is considered to be a very rugged camera. That has a shutter life of 150,000.

As for lenses, this is where you can spend a small fortune. I honestly would look at a used Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 AF lens first because it should be plenty fast enough to capture a surfer on a nice summer sunny day. You can find these used for around $400 to $450 USD. If you need more focal length, you can get a 1.4 teleconverter. Or, you can go up and get the 100 -400mm f4-5.6 USM lens used @ about $1,500.

For around $750 USD, you should have camera system that will do what you want except take movies.

Zig

One thing I neglected to include is that a good way of finding out what photographers that take the photos you would like to take, use for equipment is to look at any of the photo sharing sites on the web. I happen to use PBase.com and smugmug.com. Here is a link to one photographer that shoots the kind of images , I think you're after. He uses a Canon 20D.http://www.pbase.com/gary/image/45043759

You can run your own search and see the different cameras used and the quality they provide.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jun 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:38 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for your replies. Very good information. I realize that with respect to professional quality photos at my budget, compromises will need to be made. I am going to go with the super zoom just because it I can afford it and it does many things well, although not nearly as well as the dSLR options you mentioned. We travel around a bit so it seems an excellent choice for that. Also, If I am in the water, my wife will much more likely pic up the point an shoot, and uh, point and shoot. IMO getting a lesser quality shot is better than getting no shot at all. So the super zoom will satisfy the family requirement as well.

We do like to shoot video and if the photos are not pin point clear, that is something at my budget I can live with . I have seen enough sample photo's to know what I am getting. But for basic computer viewing I can live with it.

Just want to get the best for the purpose and money that I am able to spend. I will certainly refer back to this thread when its time to raise the bar.

Thanks again.
LBatBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 AM   #13

My Sony A-700 (about $600.00 for a good copy) with the 70-400mmG ($1600.00 new) Does what your asking magnificently. That's about $2200.

All p & s cameras I have used have way to much shutter lag and shot to shot response was sluggish.

Shoot soccer was like throwing a dart at a fighter jet. By the time the dart got there, the plane was long gone.

You need a DSLR and a good lens or your throwing money down the drain.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:37 PM   #14

He'll understand once he gets the HX100 and takes it out for a day. He obviously didn't come for advice as his mind was already made up.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:34 PM   #15

Good luck with your decision to go with the Sony superzoom.

It would be very informative and good for other folks having the same requirements as you, if you could post your impressions of the camera and a few of your images taken with the new camera.

In this way, we all help each other and benefit from our collective experience.

Zig
P.S. I would suggest that if you do decide to post that it would be done in the Sony forum.

Thanks

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:10 AM   #16

Still waiting for the HX100v. Will certainly post feedback. As for your comment Five-0, I certainly did come for advice, but thought I made it clear from the get go that I could not afford a DSLR. Through comments here and reviews, HX100v was IMO the "best in class" for my needs. Almost all said IQ was better than the Panny's and that autofocus and burst were excellent for shooting action at a distance.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:11 PM   #17

I'm not one of the individuals who recommended a dSLR, but right from the start you indicated a preference for the Sony and didn't seem interested in hearing anything else. Honestly, I don't think either the HX100V or the FZ100 has terribly good IQ, but the FZ100's focus is faster and in overall operation it is much faster. In any case, your results are going to be largely hit or miss with this type of camera in this type of situation, which is what everyone was trying to explain.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:30 AM   #18

my experiences with sony cameras have been underwhelming, to say the least. not sure why you went with that one, as it seems like it does less of what you want than the panasonic.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:37 PM   #19

Very Happy with the HX100v. It meets all the requirements that I layed out at the beginning of this thread. I will not repeat all the reviews that are out there, but this camera is an excellent value for the money. And if your main goal is to shoot outdoor action at a reasonable price, you can not go wrong. IQ is more than acceptable and the zoom lens and 10 shot burst are outstanding. We were shooting water skiing the other day and the photos were excellent. If you can step out of the auto modes, you can take very crisp, colorful and sharp photos. Since I am not going to do much more than view on computer, dont think I need anything more. My only complaint so far is that the AF can at times get a bit lost. But it does not happy often and you can point the camera at something in the foreground and it normaly regains focus.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:29 AM   #20

Post some pics.