Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Best camera/video for new parents

My sons wife is due to deliver next month, and I'd like to get them a good camera.
I'd like it to have

HD video with good sound and long recording time, zoom while recording, and the ability to shoot stills while recording,

decent low light ability and a fairly long zoom (hard combination I know).

easy to use but with some creative flexibility

fairly small size, new parents have enough stuff to lug around

unfortunately, I can't spend too much, hopefully under $500

I was thinking something like the Canon sx230 HS. Can anyone suggest some others?
Thanks
danedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedude View Post
HD video with good sound and long recording time, zoom while recording, and the ability to shoot stills while recording,
The ability to shoot stills while recording is fairly rare. There are a few cams that do that but it will severely limit your options.

Quote:
decent low light ability and a fairly long zoom (hard combination I know).

fairly small size, new parents have enough stuff to lug around
If you want this in a compact cam, it's not hard, but rather physically impossible. Low light ability is based on 2 things: the size of the sensor and the brightness of the lens. A compact cam with a long zoom cannot have either of these.

Quote:
I was thinking something like the Canon sx230 HS. Can anyone suggest some others?
Thanks
I shot with this cam for about 1.5 weeks and it was pretty decent. It doesn't do well in low light obviously due to its sensor size and lens, but it handles high ISO exceptionally well for this type of camera. It doesn't shoot stills while recording as far as I know. I'm not going to make any other suggestions since: (1) long zoom and decent low light ability are something you must choose between and (2) if you are planning on shooting a new baby indoors, the real answer is a dSLR or at least a micro 4/3, unless blurry photos are acceptable.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:06 AM   #3

Hi i would say to get the pics you want or they want then then DSLR is the way to go, but what is there photo knowledge. It maybe better to get a good P&S or bridge and not miss a shot rather than learning a bit about photography to get good pictures from a DSLR. I would look at a canon G12 good in low light does video and image quality is good
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote