Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:14 PM   #11

I like 4/3 lenses, I use them. But like the op's opening statement, he is looking for a fast zoom. a 24-70 with either the nikon or canon. That is not an option with 4/3 or m4/3. The GH2 is a great video camera. And if the op wants to concentrate on video and stills on the side. It would be a excellent option.

But if they video is important and so is photos. The FF camera like the 5dII has much better dof control, especially with a fast prime, and much better low light performance. And the detail retention of FF just out does aps-c and 4/3. And it is a pretty darn good video camera, they did use it to film House, and like I run around NYC, you see them setup to shoot music videos.

With a fast zoom at 70mm you get dof of 2.8, with the oly lens and gh2 at 60mm you get 120mm of reach and f8 of dof with the crop factor.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmrbob View Post
So here's the deal me and some photographer friends have started a studio and started doing weddings, I ended up being picked to do video because I'm the only guy who knows jack about it.
So here's what I'm looking at.
I've been wanting to upgrade from my d200 and use it as a backup, my lens setup for it isn't amazing and whichever camera I buy I'll be picking up a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4. any help would be amazing.
Just for a lil background I'll be using 24 fps 1080p etc etc.
I was almost not even considering sticking with nikon after using a d300s for video I wanted to kill myself, but the d7000 doesn't look half bad.
GH2 is the best on the market for video...it may be worth the look...for one third the price...continuous silent af...excellent resolution and hig iso performance...also for wedding shoots wouldn't you want a larger DOF to cature the group as a whole? or just one person and everyone else blurred out with a shallow DOF?...check out this link...
http://www.eoshd.com/content/459/fir...rsus-canon-60d

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:00 PM   #13

Check out the New Nikon d-5100. Seems to meet your video requirements can probably use most of your Nikon lens (check out first). The kicker is the SWIVELING 3" 912,000 Dot LCD. You would be able to do things NO other camera can do.It also (along with the d-7000) takes the BEST images of ANY digital camera. Check out the d-700 too, similar accept the swiveling LCD.
terrym45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:08 PM   #14

well the canon t3i and the 60d has a higher resolution swivel lcd form a dslr. And the gh2 does have a high res swivel lcd also. And both system has a better audio setup then the nikon for video.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:24 PM   #15

There are times you want to blur out the background allot at a wedding with very shallow dof. Seen allot of wedding video taken with 1/3 or 2/3 size pro video cam sensor. And there are allot of time that a nice segment of the bride and groom dancing where you do not want the guess in the back ground in focus as it is distracting.

And as any good video guy will tell you, you always provide your own lighting for video to control the situation to your needs, so stopping down to get deeper dof is not an issue with video spot lights. That is why wedding photog need to be a master for the flash work. It is key to them getting the results that get them pay. Control the light, to get the shots.

There is allot of ways to skin the video potato as well. Either system will produce excellent results canon or the panny. It comes down to what you want.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:06 PM   #16

I stand corrected as usual things change quickly. I personally prefer the Nikon feel and built-in software/firmware/RAW handling but totally respect and agree Canon is great and innovative. You can't go wrong either way. I am sure the two will be compared. The real difference is the person behind the lens. So try out several and pick which you are most comfortable with and fits your needs
terrym45 is offline   Reply With Quote