Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:15 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from my Canon S5is to a new Canon DSLR. HELP!!

I've noticed that Canon has several new models of DSLR's our....or at least new over the last year or so. According to their website...they have 13 different models...from the $550 Rebel XS to the $7000 1Ds Mark III.

For someone wanting to start out with a good DSLR....what would you suggest? Some friends of mine have the older 30D and 40D's.....and really like them. For the money...would it be a better deal to pay a little more and get out of the Rebel line and step up to something like the 50D or 60D?

Also..how to the mid-priced rebels ($650) compare to the higher end ones ($900). Are the 50 and 60D's a HUGE leap up in picture quality compared to the rebel lineup?

Any info would be great!! I'm looking to step away from my tried and true Canon Super Powershot S5is.....to a real DSLR. I'm a little gun-shy about spending so much money....so I'm trying to learn all I can. Thanks!
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:25 PM   #2

Ooops!!!..I posted this in the wrong forum. Could one of the mods please move it to the "what camera should I buy" forum?

Thanks!!
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:48 PM   #3

If you are shooting allot of action, a 50d or 60d is a better option with the right lens, but for general photography, the t1i, t2i or the t3i are very capable camera and are decent for the occasional action shooting with the right lens.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:48 AM   #4

The t2i, 60d, and t3i use the same sensor and Digic 4 processor, but there are a few differences anyway. The t3i has a few more software toys, and offers digital zooming of the HD video, as well as a tilt screen, and I'm not real familiar with the 60d, but I believe it has a better, faster AF... and it's somewhere between the Rebels and the high-end pro models in things like construction and weathersealing.
I'm keeping a real close eye on Canon's refurb listings, and I wouldn't feel under-equipped with any of the three. My XSi would serve nicely as a backup body.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:56 AM   #5

The 60d has 9 cross type AF point so they are more accurate and does focus faster. So you can do shoot of center action shots better. The rebels have 1 cross type point the center one. So if you are shooting action with a rebel the center point is you best friend. You also have a higher fps rate. And a much larger buffer. Rebels are good for a burst of 20-24 photo, 60D is good for 50D before buffer lag slows it down. The only thing that the 60D does not have is that digital hd zoom that the T3i has. But it is all together a higher grade camera.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:49 AM   #6

Let me add something here: you have to be careful when buying gear - a DSLR is NOT a magic point and shoot camera. Lenses, flashes, tripods etc. are also potentially important. The key is to buy the components that will help your actual photography and not pay for those that don't. If you're not going to be doing a lot of sports/birds in flight shooting I wouldn't worry a bit about performance difference in AF between the various cameras. And, guess what? If you ARE going to be doing a lot of that type of photography, the lenses are just as important. If you're using cheap $200 lenses for sports/BIF you're going to have issues anyway.

So, in a lot of instances, a lowly rebel camera with better lens will help you make better photos than a 60d with kit lens. Certainly true when you get to flash work - a rebel with external flash is better than 60d or 7d with built-in flash.

So, before we try to sell our favorite canon model to you, let's take a step back and talk about what types of photography you're interested in. What do you want to improve upon that your current camera is letting you down?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:38 AM   #7

I hate to point to this "other" camera site (bad me) but their description of the 60d placement is pretty good
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/

As John mentioned, you never said what kind of photography you are interested in.
If it is something like fast moving sports the 7d with its dual digic 4 processors might be the answer.
If it is landscapes/portraits/travel either the t3i or 60d would do, the xxd's used to be built a bit more solidly and have more capabilities. Not sure with the 60d, have never personally seen one.

IMHO: All 3 (t3i, 60d, 7d) use the same 18mp sensor & digic 4 based processor so the actual images coming out of them should look similar.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM. Reason: fixin grammer
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:15 AM   #8

IQRaceworks, I was recently looking to upgrade and had a lot of the same questions. For me, it came down to the T3i or 60D. I was fortunate to be able to use both for a couple days before I made my purchase - the 60D. I do need to say the images from both bodies looked the same but the 60D fit me better.

Some of the reasons I went with the 60D in order are:

1) The 60D fits my hand much better. I thought this was a ridiculous idea until I actually felt the difference. The deeper grip and added weight just feels better to me.
2) While I like sunset/sunrise photos the most now, as I get more in to photography I see my ideas of fun shoots expanding and felt the 60D offered me some room to grow in to it.
3) Regardless of the body, I knew I would have to save to get the lenses I want. The kit lense (18-135) that came with the 60D gave me a little more range while saving for the lenses.

I hope this helps you out some.
divmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:58 AM   #9

Hi lots of good advice has been given and try them out is very important if it feels right you are long way down the road to getting the right camera. I dont know your photo knowledge but you will have to learn and practise to get good shots, only because a DSLR opens up so much more for picturs to be taken. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote