Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Buy Nex-5 or EPL-2

Hello,

So I am looking to learn a little about photography and upgrade my IQ from a P&S. However, I need something small enough that is not size prohibitive from carrying around (which excludes dSLRs for me). Thus I have been gravitating towards the mirrorless cameras.

I would be using the camera primarily for vacation photos and daily family/friends casual photos. I would most likely use the kit lens for awhile as I cannot afford both the camera and a set of lenses at the moment.

Which would you buy in my case?
(The micro 4/3 has a wider selection of lenses -and smaller lenses- when the time comes; however, the nex has a larger sensor ...)

Thank you for your help!
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:10 AM   #2

The new NEX-C3 is even smaller than the current NEX products so you might want to wait a little. In addition, Sony has released the specifications for the NEX' E-Mount, and considering the NEX' popularity, third party lens manufacturers are likely to jump on the bandwagon soon.

But unfortunately, this is all pie-in-the-sky, and because of the relative sizes of the image sensors, m4/3 bodies and lenses are always likely to be smaller and lighter than NEX bodies and lenses. If that's important to you, then m4/3 is the obvious choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:55 PM   #3

Hi,

I've had an Olympus EPL-1 for about a year now and have to say that I still like it and, if I had it to do all over again would buy it again. My main reasons for buying one was size, image quality, and the fact that the Olympus mirrorless cameras, along with Panasonic, have been available a fair amount of time. Enough so that there are plenty of lenses to choose from.

One of the strengths of the Olympus system is the quality of the kit lenses as a matter of fact, just about all the lenses made by Olympus for their micro 43 bodies are really sharp. The only clunker in the group is the 17mm f2.8lens.

Because of the jpeg engine and sensor, their out of camera jpegs, shot in auto mode, are IMO, the best currently available in that category.

There is one thing you should be aware of, and that is that rumors a rampant that Olympus will be releasing 3 new micro 43 mirrorless cameras on the 30th of June. The buzz is that the AF system in these new cameras is going to be significantly faster. As fast as, a dslr AF system.

My advice is that you wait until the announcement before you decide.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:31 AM   #4

i'd go with m4/3 - i really dislike the sony menus.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i'd go with m4/3 - i really dislike the sony menus.
Sony's upcoming Firmware upgrade for the NEX product line will be adressing that. But again, that's pie-in-the-sky too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:12 AM   #6

there are also at least 2 more lenses coming form oly on jun 30, a 45mm 1.8 that is suppose to be 299 dollars, and a 12mm f2. Only with these lenses will the new bodies be as fast as some dslr. But unless they are also going to surprise even one with a new sensor which I hope. The image quality of the epl-2 will most likely be equal to the new ones.

I would wait to jun 30th, see what is announce. But that will mean atleast a month before you see any of the new camera's in the stores. So I would wait the 2 weeks, and then decide if the full msrp and the wait with it for the new pen's.

The nex is a fine camera, but most the new lenses are larger then the oly and panny offerings. Only the current kit lenses are the size of the panny and they are larger then the oly. And the sony kit lenses are soft, and to allot of people surprise, their pancake is actually softer then their zoom. But the sony will be a better HD camera with 1080p vs the epl-2's 720. That might change with the new pen's coming, they may be equal.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:52 AM   #7

The new Oly's are going to have very fast improved AF...I would wait...
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-...slr-autofocus/

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-...-on-june-30th/
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:35 PM   #8

Thank you very much for the advice!

I am definitely very intrigued by the E-PL3; however, this statement makes me somewhat nervous, anyone know what they mean by this?

"3) E-PL3 lost some of the manual controls of the “older” E-PL2 "

But we will see, I want to get something before my trip in late july, so it could be close
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:44 PM   #9

It is a rumor, so no one really knows, Maybe they got ride of the dial form the epl-2. And went back to the buttons of the epl-1.

You will not see any of the new pen's before july. If you need it, the epl-2 or the nex are both fine camera. Just decided which one's ergo you like better and who have the lenses that you want.

The panny 20 1.7 is a excellent lens great for low light shooting of static shots with the ibis. You have 2 good telezooms to choose from that is not extremely expensive with the oly 40-150 and the panny 45-200. The oly focus faster the panny reaches out further. Not a option you will have with the nex. And the only zoom is the 18-200 for 800 dollars right now. But the oly has a very nice megazoom as well with the 14-150, and it is not bad for 450 dollars pretty darn sharp.