Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:03 PM   #21

Oh, I forgot the 'greed factor' of the manufacture
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:05 PM   #22

G'day PoL

Okay - you ask us...
Quote:
Originally Posted by purityoflove View Post
In your opinion, which of the two cameras is better and why?
Panasonic Fz100 vs Sony Hx100v

There are many issues in the choice of a camera 'system', and besides the basic specs, the ergonomics of the camera must also be considered too
Ergonomics is one area in this world that camera sellers consistently fail to go into with the buyer. I regard camera choice much like buying a pair of shoes - at the very least it must be comfortable in your hand, it must be easy to use the eye-piece and the menus must be easy to follow

Okay looking into the specs for the HX100 - FZ100 - HS10

1- each camera has the same sized sensor - but mpx varies from 16mpx [HX100] to 10mpx [HS10]
On this basis, I would expect the HX to display lots more noise than the HS regardless of the camera maker's claims

2- all lenses traverse to over 500mm eq ... thus every lens's IQ will fall away above this AND all successful use of the lens over this mm will require a very, very solid tripod [talking from experience here]

3- LCD screen pixels varies - HX has most pixels, HS the fewest - tho from experience, 250,000 pixels is okay for most things

4- video [i'm not interested in video, but] they all seem the same specs

5- and for batteries, the HS uses 'AA' batteries, so to me this is a plus

When it comes to batteries, many people do not realise that battery power [and that is what you're buying] is measured in 'Amps' or for small batteries, milliAmps.

A set of 4x AA batteries offering say, 2000mAh costs around $25
A Lithium-ion battery offering 700mAh costs between $75 and $150 depending upon the camera maker. [excl 3rd-party suppliers]
It does not make economic sense to pay from 3x to 6x the price for only 1/3 the electrical power ... no-one in the world would do it for petrol for their car !!!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:17 PM   #23

Default Does Anyone Know of an Analytical Study Comparing These Long-zooms?

Seems like many of us want more than opinion to help choose between the Sony HX100v, Pan FZ40 or 100, and the Canon 30IS.

Does anyone know where I can find and read an unbiased, fairly thorough comparison of the Sony with some/all of the other super-zooms?

TIS
Robbie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie43 View Post
Seems like many of us want more than opinion to help choose between the Sony HX100v, Pan FZ40 or 100, and the Canon 30IS.

Does anyone know where I can find and read an unbiased, fairly thorough comparison of the Sony with some/all of the other super-zooms?

TIS
The only thing that is even really up for debate is the still and video quality. The Sony doesn't even come close on any other factor. Check out individual reviews of each camera at some the big review sites .. photographyblog, imagingresource, etc. and you can decide from the samples which you prefer.

If you go beyond IQ (and most people do), then the 3 latter cameras all have a lot going for them. Sorry, but the Sony simply doesn't have much going for it.