Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:32 AM   #11

Was just looking and the ZS7 is unavailable. I do not need Video, in fact I think my wife would find it a confusion factor and I do not really want GPS. I would love the IQ of the ZS7 or the Canon, without the GPS or video.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:46 AM   #12
cmj

What about the Nikon S8100?
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Was just looking and the ZS7 is unavailable. I do not need Video, in fact I think my wife would find it a confusion factor and I do not really want GPS. I would love the IQ of the ZS7 or the Canon, without the GPS or video.
GPS can always be turned off. However, the Canon SX220 is the same camera as the SX230 without the GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
What about the Nikon S8100?
Also a good cam though the focus is a bit unreliable (then again, so is Canon's). More importantly for me is the lack of an aperture priority mode, which I use very often to capture moving subjects. If you're going to just use auto mode, the S8100 and S9100 are both otherwise good cams.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:57 PM   #14

Thanks, My wife and maybe 8yr old daughter will be the only users and they will NEVER leave full auto. Right now I am leaning towards either the S9100 or the ZS10, is the Panasonic IS and IQ as good or better than the Nikon?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, My wife and maybe 8yr old daughter will be the only users and they will NEVER leave full auto. Right now I am leaning towards either the S9100 or the ZS10, is the Panasonic IS and IQ as good or better than the Nikon?
ZS7 IQ is better than the S9100 imho, but the S9100 IQ is better than the ZS10. Panasonic's IS is very good; not sure about Nikon's tbh. The ZS10's video is better.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:29 PM   #16

Thanks to all I bought the Panasonic ZS10. So far the wife is happy.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:18 AM   #17

Well I am opening this up again as my wife hates the picture quality of the ZS10. Most of the shots were inside, but were really grainy. I am almost ready to have her try something like the S85 even though the zoom is much less than she is used to. I really need an easy to use (read great pictures in Auto mode) pocket camera with excellent picture quality. I need to keep it under $400 (yes the budget has gone up as time goes on). Thanks Steven
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:24 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Can I ask why do YOU want a large zoom range for your wife?

Unless she is into wildlife photography or is a spy it's not necessary. The Canon S95 is an awesome pocket camera. My wife loves hers.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:04 PM   #19

The reason for the zoom is that this is her camera. It will be used when ever she is with the kids and I am not. She always wants to get closer, but I am leaning towards the S95 right now as I am nervouse about get two strikes in the search. I think if we can get a decent wide angle and great IQ she will be happy (I so hope).How good is the camera in "Auto" mode as that is all she will use?

Last edited by waoldrifleman; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
The reason for the zoom is that this is her camera. It will be used when ever she is with the kids and I am not. She always wants to get closer, but I am leaning towards the S95 right now as I am nervouse about get two strikes in the search. I think if we can get a decent wide angle and great IQ she will be happy (I so hope).How good is the camera in "Auto" mode as that is all she will use?
To get closer, just walk towards them, a long zoom is unnecessary.

It's great in Auto mode.