Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Well I am opening this up again as my wife hates the picture quality of the ZS10. Most of the shots were inside, but were really grainy. I am almost ready to have her try something like the S85 even though the zoom is much less than she is used to. I really need an easy to use (read great pictures in Auto mode) pocket camera with excellent picture quality. I need to keep it under $400 (yes the budget has gone up as time goes on). Thanks Steven
if indoors is the priority, ZS10 should be used with flash. without flash, s95 is much better cam for indoors. regardless of indoor/outdoors, s95 has better IQ than ZS due to its larger sensor but it lacks the zoom for the same reason.

zs10 takes nice pics anyways, if you post one or two sample pictures by zs10 that you find grainy, it will be easier to explain the problem.

Last edited by flyhigh; Jul 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:46 PM   #22

If you are shooting mostly indoors, go with something like the S95 for sure. Love mine.

Last edited by FiveO; Jul 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:19 PM   #23

Cute puppy! Well due to a number of things occuring in the last few days, she is staying with the Panasonic. I reset all the menus and taught her which button to use (not the video one!). and now it is OK. She really wants the Zoom and will not buy a camera that does not come with a paper manual. Thanks for all your help!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Cute puppy! Well due to a number of things occuring in the last few days, she is staying with the Panasonic. I reset all the menus and taught her which button to use (not the video one!). and now it is OK. She really wants the Zoom and will not buy a camera that does not come with a paper manual. Thanks for all your help!
Can I ask how you "fixed" the grainy pics on the ZS10 then please? I'm thinking of buying the ZS10 (TZ20 in UK) but worried about all these reviews and comments on web about it being poor IQ.

I use my current TZ7 in full auto and do use it for video to.

Cheers
MrMister111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:30 AM   #25

Quote:
No Panasonic camera comes with a paper manual. They include a paper copy of the "Basic Operating Instructions" which is not at all similar to the user manual. Apparently she broke her own rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Can I ask how you "fixed" the grainy pics on the ZS10 then please? I'm thinking of buying the ZS10 (TZ20 in UK) but worried about all these reviews and comments on web about it being poor IQ.

I use my current TZ7 in full auto and do use it for video to.

Cheers
You can't - unless you are willing to lose detail in order to reduce noise. Some people just have lower standards than others. Panasonics sensors are notoriously somewhat noisy as it is and then add in the fact that CMOS sensors are noisier than CCD sensors ... Additionally, all manufacturers are cramming way too many MP on these tiny sensors which also results in more noise.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:30 AM   #26

There is a basic manual that does come with it that satisfies her needs. It turns out she did not use the Auto mode and had accidently set some presets and turned off the stabalize function. By resetting everything the picture quality improved dramatically. Also if you use Lightroom 3 you can remove a huge amount of the noise without a serious loss of quality.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote