Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:28 PM   #1

Default simple point and shoot

My wife wants a new camera that she can carry around. It will be used outside and once in a while indoors (up closewith built in flash). It will only be used in auto mode. she must have a really good stabilization system and decent zoom. simple is best. I want to keep the price under $350. She hates carring around my DSLR.

Last edited by waoldrifleman; Jun 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Panasonic ZS7, Canon SX230, Nikon S8100/S9100
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:58 PM   #3

Of these which has the best lens and image stabalization? Her current camera is a 5 year old Panasonic. The images just are not that sharp and pretty noisy. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:31 AM   #4

Panasonic and Canon both have the better IS. The ZS7 images are sharper than the SX230's due to the fact that the SX230 uses a CMOS sensor, which, in these pinhead-sensor cams, always seems to be less sharp than a CCD-based cam. Now in terms of noise, Panasonic's sensors do tend to be noisier than its competitors'. The ZS7 does fine up to ISO 400 but after that it pretty much falls apart. The SX230 is a bit softer throughout the ISO range, but it does a lot better at high ISO than the ZS7. For what it's worth, I've had my ZS7 for a bit over a year and don't regret the purchase one bit. I returned the SX230 after 10 days and tbh, I prefer Canon's colors and JPEG processing - but I am just not a fan of the still quality from CMOS-based cams.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Canon SD4000 is worth a look too.

Easy to use, nice zoom range, small, good in low light, nice price.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:14 PM   #6

I like the SD4000 also but it only has about a 4x zoom.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:24 PM   #7

Inoticed that there is also a zs8 and zs10. What do these bring to the table, or is the 7 better? Thanks. Also to peri, but my wife wants at least a10x zoom.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Super Moderator

It seems that zoom range is the new megapixel race.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Inoticed that there is also a zs8 and zs10. What do these bring to the table, or is the 7 better? Thanks. Also to peri, but my wife wants at least a10x zoom.
The ZS7 has better still IQ than the ZS8 and ZS10, whereas the latter have better video quality. If video is what you want though, then I think the SX230 would be a better bet as its still IQ beats out the ZS8/10. I think Panasonic lost its edge i the market this year with those 2 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
It seems that zoom range is the new megapixel race.
I wouldn't say that at all. There are plenty of situations in which you can't get close enough to your subject.

- zoo; Many exhibits don't allow you to get close enough to capture a decent shot with a 4x zoom.
- wildlife; Whitetail deer are notorious for being easily very easily started and only an idiot would creep up on a black bear.
- birds; Anyone who does any birding isn't doing so with a 4x zoom.

Now my everyday camera is an S95 and suits me just fine, but there are times (such as above) when I really do need that zoom and reach for my ZS7 or FZ40.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:05 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Yes, for wildlife photography you need a longer zoom.

It's the one area where I think the video/photography convergence holds a great deal of promise. I personally think that unless you are willing to spend staggering amounts of money on lenses and DSLRs going the video route is better for wildlife. Many mid-price video cameras now have sufficient resolution to get decent quality single-frame grabs (at least as compared to the megazoom cameras).

For bears I prefer shooting from the air. Possibly even a satellite.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jun 20, 2011 at 2:08 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote