Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:38 PM   #1

Default Have a Minolta Maxxum 7000i..

would it be worthwhile to buy a Sony alpha series body and use the minoltas' lenses? Have 2 zooms, a 70 to 210 and a 35 to 70. Would I gain anything over my Fuji s700?

Thanks
romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:18 PM   #2
Administrator

I've bought a couple of those (Maxxum 7000) to get the lenses bundled with them; as you can find some pretty good bargains on the used market that include lenses with that camera body. I've got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony A700 that I can use them with.

I take it you probably got it as a two lens kit with the Maxxum 35-70mm f/4 and 70-210mm f/4 Macro Autofocus lenses.

Those are both good lenses (sharp with great color and contrast). The Minolta 70-210mm f/4 is especially well liked and is affectionately referred to as the "Beercan" by most Minolta and Sony users.

But, keep in mind that most dSLR models use an APS-C size sensor (smaller than 35mm film). As a result, your lenses will appear to be "longer" (more apparent magnification). Just multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare. For example, a 100mm lens on a Sony A580 (using an APS-C size sensor) would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera like the Maxxum 7000 (100mm x 1.5 = 150mm)

Or, that 35-70mm lens (when used on a Sony model with an APS-C size sensor) would give you the about the same angle of view you'd have using a 53-105mm lens on a 35mm camera. So, it's not a great focal length for a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor (as it's not going to be wide enough in some conditions, and you only have so much room to back up). I've got one that spends most of it's time on a shelf.

So, if you do decide to get a Sony dSLR, I'd suggest getting a wider lens to use with it (for example, an 18-55mm "kit lens" would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-83mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Note that two Sony models (A850 and A900) have larger sensors (same size as 35mm film). With those models, your lenses would give you the same angle of view as you'd have using them on your Maxxum 7000.

Your beercan (70-210mm f/4) is a well liked lens, and it would work fine on a Sony dSLR (you'd have Autofocus, and it would be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system in Sony dSLR models). On most Sony dSLR bodies (those using APS-C size sensors), you'd get the same angle of view you'd have using a 105-315mm lens on your Maxxum 7000.

As for differences with your Fuji... well, you'd get a much shallower Depth of Field for a given focal length and subject framing with a Sony dSLR, because the sensors in them are dramatically larger than the sensor in your Fuji (the larger the sensor or film size, the shallower your depth of field). So, that can help larger subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds. You'd also get much better performance (autofocus speed, frame rate, photos before a full buffer, and more).

Noise levels will likely be much lower, too (depending on the Sony model you're looking at). The A580 is probably the best of the bunch now for noise levels as ISO speeds are increased (and the A560 is not bad either).

You'll also get better Dynamic Range (ability to capture a greater range of bright to dark) with most dSLR models compared to cameras like your Fuji.

There are many differences. But, as a general rule of thumb, it can take a higher skill level to get the best out of a dSLR; even though the dSLR is usually the more capable camera model in many areas.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. actually both lens are Quantaray. This set up was my father-in-laws which I inherited several years ago and just never used.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:03 PM   #4

If they're Quantaray, they're not as good as the Minolta lenses JimC was speaking about, and aren't worth very much. There isn't much there that would be worth keeping, unfortunately.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the fast and honest responses. I'll stick with the Fuji