Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:43 PM   #1

Default changing from Sony DSC W120

Hi guys,

I'm a new here and I would need a bit of advice. Since few years I'm using the point & shoot Sony DSC W120. I use mainly for two kind of things: normal family pictures and my hobby: armour modelling.

Nothing to tell about the family pics. For taking pictures of my models I use a photo tent, 4 photo bulbs, a tripod and the P mode of my camera. The image I get isn't bad (easily accepted to modelling magazines) but some more depth and sharpness would be good. I always take those pics during the night so those bulbs are the only source of light. I always edit images and often highlight them.

I do like the DSCW 120 as it shoots pictures well but... I feel a small change would do good to me. The main issue is I have a very limited budget (around 100EUR =140 USD) so buying a DSLR camera is out of the question.

What I look for is also a point and shoot camera. For the budget I have (around 140 USD but keep in mind that in France were I live price are a bit higher) I could get one of these:

Fuji Finepix 70 EXR
Fuji Finepix 80EXR
Sony DSC W380

I've looked the net for reviews and more I find less I know... first of all it would seem that my oldy DSC W120 is no so bad for what it is... It also seems that the Fuji 70 EXR is slighlty better than the newer 80 EXR (I only care about sharpness, colours and no video for example). I have also found some completely contrary reviews for the sony DSCW380 (from quite bad because of 14 MB sensor to almost excellent or at least very good).

The real question is if any of those I've given would have a significant advantage over the DSC W 120? I can't find this answer myself and I hope you'll be able to help me. Also if you would have in mind a different compact camera to replace the one I have (for the same budget) I would gladly hear your advices.

I hope I haven't been too lon and you got till the end
thank you for your help

Pawel
jonak75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:51 PM   #2

Out of those 3, I would go for the Fuji Finepix 70 EXR. I don't know how it would compare to the W120 though. In many cases, older cameras with larger sensors and less MP do better than current models.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:23 AM   #3

thank you.

I've been browsing a lot lately and I've come up with some other ideas. Like you proposed an older camera with smaller sensor maybe with better qiality of images.

I think about one of those 4:

Canon PowershotG6

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...g6-review.html

Nikon Coolpix 5700

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-6.html

Sony DSC-H2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html

Sony DSC-V3

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html

Any hint which one of those three would fit the best? Or another "oldy" which would be good?

This is the kind of pictures I take (using: photo tent, special bulbs and tripod)

thank you for your help
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:25 AM   #4

No one can advice anything?